03 July 2020

Friday FOs - Two, Count 'Em, Two!

Before I completely melt today and lose all interest in anything, I have two finished objects for you - yes TWO.  Granted, neither one was a major undertaking, but they are still both finished, and that counts!

First up, the shortie slipper socks I knit for The Tim:


Project:  Same Mother Shortie Socks
Pattern:  Just a plain sock, turned into a shortie sock
Yarn:  Plymouth Encore Worsted Solids, in the Oatmeal, Purple, and Orange colorways
Needles:  US size 5
Notes:  As you know if you have read my blog for a few weeks at least, I knitted the first sock, and then strongly suspected that I would not have enough of the Oatmeal colored yarn to complete the second one.  For some people, that would mean they would take apart sock #1 and do some color-blocking.  I'm not those people, and because I had not thought ahead, I warned The Tim that his socks would not match and why.  He said, "Well, if you have to throw in another color, make sure it's something that pops." And I think the orange definitely pops, right??  Anyway, these were really quick to knit, and since they are just meant to be slipper socks, it didn't bother me that they wouldn't be the same.  I called them "Same Mother Shortie Socks" because they are like family members who have the same mother, and look similar but different.  😀

The best part was that when they were finished, The Tim was *thrilled* with them, so all's well that ends well.

*****

Next up, something for the kitchen:


Project:  Leftovers Kitchen Towel
Pattern:  At Your Service Knit Cloth (a free pattern)
Yarn:  Knit Picks ColLin, in the Conch colorway
Needles:  US size 7
Modifications:  None
Notes:  I had some yarn left from my Down the Shore Shawl, and decided to give this pattern a try, since we use these kinds of hanging towels in our kitchen all the time and they are not that easy to find in stores.  The pattern was overall easy and pretty quick to knit, but in my heat-addled brain, it did take me a few times to get the decreases right.  In the end, it turned out just fine, and I see many more of these in my future.  The Tim thinks they would be nice Christmas gifts, but I'm not sure that people would enjoy that kind of gift.  Then again they might.  I'll have to give it some thought.

Both of these projects were from stash yarn, and that always pleases me - the button for the kitchen towel is also from a stash of buttons that I have, so no extra money at all was spent for this project, which is even better! 

******

Before closing, I wanted to remind anyone who is interested that you have until one minute before midnight this coming Sunday, July 5, to comment on this post and be in the mix for a giveaway. 

And finally, tomorrow is Independence Day here in the U.S.  This country is far from perfect, but if we can get back on track, I really believe that things could move forward and we can be what we wanted our country to stand for.  It's still better than lots of other places.  So, if you celebrate, have a lovely day, and remember to VOTE in November!!


And for everyone, I hope you have a good weekend no matter how you decide to spend it.  See you on Monday for the announcement of the giveaway winner.

11 comments:

Nance said...

That orange definitely does pop. I'm glad your husband got what he wanted.

And look at you with two FOs! July is your Knitting Month, for sure.

karen said...

congrats on finishing two projects! I'm sure the socks will be loved and worn :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Excellent finishes, both. And it's hard to get more pop than bright orange!

Araignee said...

I LOVE those socks!! I am so picky about matchy matchy but sometimes you just gotta love the projects that have a mind of their own.

KSD said...

Digging the popping!

Jill said...

Love your odd socks. Don't get how the towel works. Think I'm going mad. Take care.

sprite said...

I, too, love the orange pop!

Maybe you could check with people now about the towel. By the time Christmas rolls around, those who said they'd like it will have forgotten you asked!

Dee said...

Glad Tim has a new pair of socks. Congrats on the finish.

Happy 4th to you, Tim and all the fur-kids.

Minerva said...

I love it that your husband likes colors that POP! They are great socks. And yes...I will be voting this November!

kathy b said...

Tim's socks are the best!!! Grea idea
Yes lets move forward and elect Joe BIDEN!

Mereknits said...

Very nice projects Bridget, happy 4th! Stay safe.