23 July 2020

The Next Needle Project

Before I tell you about the project referenced in the title of this post, I have to say that I think your responses to the question of what was the worst gift you have received are some of my favorite responses ever!  I admit to laughing at your pain, but come on, those are some good stories, people.  And note to Alison - just because you live in New Zealand, it doesn't mean you cannot be part of the giveaway, I'm happy to send things wherever they need to go.  So please let me know if you would still like to be added in before the deadline this week.  I would truly love to include you on this giveaway or any future giveaways.* 😊

If you recall, last year I completed a couple of counted cross-stitch projects, and enjoyed working on them so much that I was glad I'd gotten back to it.  Then I had some knitting projects that I really wanted to do, and they started taking up all of my brain space and interest.

During the time I was working on those projects, I came across a kit that the store junebug and darlin was selling through the Strand Bookstore.


As you can imagine, this was something I felt I just MUST have!  First of all, I love books; second, I am a cataloging librarian; and third, they are renovating our space at work and I thought this would be a really nice touch in my new work area.  So I ordered a kit, and it arrived in a very timely fashion.  Since I was busy with other stuff, I put it away for another time.

I feel that the time has come, so to speak.  Yesterday I pulled it out to start looking at the pattern, the instructions, what was in the kit, etc.


And look at this - the floss is attached to a library check out card, like we all used before things became computerized!  (Some libraries still use them, but most large libraries nowadays use barcodes and scanners.)  I just love that presentation, it makes my librarian heart sing.


Since we are supposed to return to work in the next month or so (don't get me started on that topic right now), and at least in theory, the renovations will be finished (really?), I thought it was time to start this project and have it ready whenever I can finally walk in to my new office.  My only concern right now is that I am suffering big-time from heat-addled brain, so it might be better to only do a small amount of stitching on any given day.  That way if there is a brain disconnect, there won't be as much to un-stitch and start again.  I'll keep you posted.


*OMG someone in NEW ZEALAND reads my blog!!!  This makes me all kinds of happy.  One of my fave places (no I haven't been, other than in my head and in photos, news, others' stories).  I have always wanted a friend who lives there. Plus, they are having winter now.  Sigh.

7 comments:

Vera said...

Love the thread on the library card! That is perfect.

Araignee said...

That really is a cute way to put a project together. I'd have a hard time even using it.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Wouldn't it be nice if you could spend your summers in New Zealand (their winter), and your winters here?

Love the new project!

KSD said...

Okay, the library card is genius. I must look the company up.

Alison said...

Thank you for the kind mention, and if you are happy then put me in the draw! I feel so fortunate to live here in NZ, especially right now. We have been one country that has really managed the Covid problem well. As our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says, we are a team of 5 million. We had 4 weeks of total lockdown, then partial lockdown but now life is as normal as it can be. There have been lots of job losses but the government has good financial support systems in place. Everyone who enters our country has to go into managed isolation for 2 weeks which makes the rest of us very happy.

Yes it is winter time here, but we get lovely days to enjoy our nearby forest and 14 lakes in the area where I live. Rotorua, North Island. That is pronounced “wrote oh roo uh”

Your blog is a ray of sunshine to me and I enjoy reading it so much.

Nance said...

New Zealand benefits from female leadership. COVID under control and an assault rifle ban, all in one year. GIVE WOMEN THE POWER. STUFF GETS DONE.

That needlepoint kit is so thoughtfully done. They really know book lovers. I always loved those cards, especially in school, seeing who else read the book. I was a committed re-reader, so my name was on there, too, at least once.

karen said...

love that new project! I will be thinking of you and wishing you all kinds of luck when (IF??) you go back to work. I thought the Gov said work remote when possible?! The world is upside down.