07 December 2020

A Yarny Advent

Months and months and months ago, when we all had jobs and disposable income, I ordered a yarny Advent calendar from Yarnbrary.  I watch the podcast that Emily does with her sister Deborah (Meanwhile at the Castle) from time to time, and Emily announced that this year, her Advent calendar would be based on the movie "Elf," which I must admit is one of my faves.  So, not realizing what was coming, and how much I might wish later I hadn't spent the money, I ordered one.  Then as we all know, the world changed drastically, and to be honest, I completely forgot about the whole thing.

At the end of November, a box arrived, and well, I was really glad I'd spent the money, because what a treat to look forward to opening a package every day in December!  

Day 1 had the colorway named Buddy, and I think it was perfect, since it truly ecapsulated Buddy the Elf to me:


Plus, it included a tiny elf shoe that could be used as a progress keeper, or worn on the enclosed chain as a charm bracelet.  This made me SO excited and happy!

Here are the colorways for Days 1-6, and I am in no way disappointed at all!


I think they are such happy little skeins of yarn, and if you look closely in the lower right corner, there is a little candy cane progress keeper/charm on the yarn, so there's even another goody there!  I haven't started my Advent calendar project yet, but right now, I plan to try and knit the Habitation Throw, since I have always liked the pattern, and have seen some really nice ones made from other Advent calendars.  Once we are all decorated and all of the packages are mailed out, I plan to get started.  

Yes, it would have been nice to have the money I spent earlier in the year, but to be honest, this has given me so much joy, I think I made a good decision when I decided to go for it.

*****
We had a good weekend, getting out some of our Christmas stuff and getting organized.  I got a lot of gifts wrapped and ready to send, and even managed to get most of the cards ready to send in the mail today, so that made me feel excited.  I joined a knitting Zoom yesterday for an hour, which was truly fun, and a nice break from just everything else.

Hamlet started sporting his (well, originally it was Dug's) festive collar, and is thrilled when people pay attention to him as a result!  So you know his holiday season is starting out well!  💘

Years ago, I had a couple of Christmas-themed items I'd bought that our first cat, Molly Bloom would actually wear without much fuss about it.  Most of our cats since then have not been, shall we say, as gracious about it.  But I did manage to find a use for one of them, and now Hamlet is not the only one in our household decked out in festive splendor:


Baby Yoda/Grogu is ready to roll!

10 comments:

Vera said...

Pretty yarns you are getting!!! Are they mini skeins?

Nance said...

Those lovely advent yarns are a perfect pick-me-up for this year. And it's not like they'll go to waste.

I'm glad that Hamlet is a compliantly festive dog. He is a joy-bringer, and not just to you.

I've started my Cmas shopping in earnest, but I'm running up against a few toughies. I hate to give gift cards, but it may come to that in the end.

Dee said...

Those yarns are beautiful. Emily did a wonderful job dyeing up the kit.

The Child looks quite festive.

But you know what we really want to see???? HAMLET!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh, what a great present to yourself!

KSD said...

I had to forego a yarn advent calendar this year, and I am missing it something awful.
Of course, I've been over the moon with BAby Yoda. I'm quite disappointed in the name, though.

Kym said...

What a nice way to "pre-treat" yourself, Bridget. I'm so glad you're finding joy in the advent yarn. (Because, really . . . what a GREAT THING to have advent yarn surprises right about now???) When I was pulling out one of my Christmas decoration boxes the other day, the festive dog collars (with bells) jangled. The dogs heard them and came running! The can't WAIT to wear their festive collars. I'm making them wait, though, because the bells are charming for about . . . 5 minutes. ;)

karen said...

I only just started to buy yarn for some sweaters but I was on a 'no buy' yarn kick for months on end. When I put my mind to it, I can find so many things within my stash.

Mereknits said...

I am glad you got the Advent yarn fun because you deserve it after this crazy year. Stay safe and warm!

Araignee said...

A yarny advent sounds like fun!
Baby Yoda looks adorable in his festive garb. I haven't got to the episode where he gets his name yet but I've seen it all over the internet. I'm looking forward to it.

AsKatKnits said...

What a lovely thing your did for yourself with that yarn! Smart you!! A little yarny surprise seems like the perfect thing for these days!