14 December 2020

In Which Some Serious Decorating Occurs

Eleven days before Christmas, and we are enjoying ourselves as well as getting things done.  All packages were mailed early last week, and we got our Christmas tree, which currently has the lights on it, but is waiting for the ornaments.  Over the weekend, I did a good clean of the second and third floors, so they would be ready for decorating.  The first floor will get cleaned once all of the boxes go back downstairs which will only happen once every single decoration and ornament has been unpacked and placed.  But since the first floor is the one that takes the longest, I'll only have that one to do and not the whole house waiting for a good clean.  Win-win!

Yesterday I did manage to get all of the non-tree decorations unpacked and not only was that a good feeling, but it meant getting to say hello to old friends I hadn't seen for about a year!  This one always makes me smile:


The Tim's late sister and her husband sent this to us one year, and it has just always amused me.  I don't know about you, but I really enjoy seeing things again every year and remembering who/what/where/when/how they joined our collection.  

I do have to say that as I was unpacking, I couldn't help but think of all of the people who are missing someone this year.  Not because they can't (or shouldn't) travel to see family and friends, but because of the immense loss of life that has happened.  I know that as Christmastime goes along, I feel the loss of my parents more than usual, and I can only imagine how it must feel for those this year, when most of the deaths could have been avoided, or even if not the virus, for people who couldn't visit with loved ones.  It made me cry to think about it, and even angrier that people in charge couldn't be bothered to care.  I am glad we have a vaccine, but there is truly no reason things should still be so bad.  OK, preaching to the choir, so I'll get off my soapbox and move forward.

I also wanted to show you days 7-12 of my yarny Advent calendar:


There's another charm in this group as well, that came with the yellow yarn in the lower right corner - it's a New York charm, in keeping with the "Elf" theme.  These yarns are so pretty and so soft.  I had to laugh, because someone I was following in Instagram who is sharing their Advent calendar from another dyer, said "Wow, this person really seems to love yellows," as the majority of what she has opened is varying shades or combos of yellow.  I looked at mine, and realized that the person I ordered from must be a fan of pink, for the same reasons.  I think every dyer must have certain things they gravitate towards, whether or not they are conscious of it on a regular basis.

*****
Today is a cold and rainy here in Philadelphia, so it's a good day for some baking.  I made sure I had all of the ingredients to make Seven-Layer Cookies, which we both really like.  Of course, there's also the benefit of making the house smell so good, right?  I'm sure we'll do more holiday stuff today and all week, and I - like almost all of my colleagues - are looking forward to our All-Staff meeting on Thursday. There are rumors that we may get some extra days off next week instead of just Christmas, and I really hope that's true.  Because even though people are working remotely anyway, I sincerely doubt much would be accomplished next week!  

That's about as exciting as life is around here.  To be honest, that's fine with me at this point.

Wishes for a good week for all of us!

9 comments:

KSD said...

The colors! All the pretty colors!

Ellen D. said...

Yes, you perfectly described how I feel when I am putting out the Christmas decorations and ornaments. It is always a pleasant treat to see them each year (like old friends - you are so right!).
I am looking forward to a more relaxing, peaceful Christmas. Wishing a peaceful Christmas to you too!

Dee said...

It is snowing here right now and it looks so pretty. None laying on the ground, but I guess soon enough THAT will happen.

Sending good wishes that you DO get the extra time off. Who doesn't enjoy a little bonus time to do the FUN things.

Hugs

Araignee said...

Your advent yarn is lovely. I've been enjoying watching folks open theirs. It's going to be fun seeing what becomes of all of it.
I haven't baked a cookie yet. I keep saying I am going to and I never do. All this rain has be bummed out. Everyone is getting snow on Wednesday and it's going to be just wet and miserable again here. I hate when that happens. Nothing turns me into a Grinch faster than rainy weather in December.

steph said...

I adore that meow and that’s saying something from a dog not cat person!’ I think because we only get our decorations out once a year we appreciate them all the more. Really should teach us to appreciate everything we have not just the rarely seen. Looks like winter might be coming your way. A little snow would be fun. Hope it’s not the nor’easter the weather man is predicting!!! Be safe.

Nance said...

Those yarns look so soft and pretty. I like them all. They share a sort of delicate palette.

This year, we are very stripped down as far as decorations go. I don't feel very Christmassy, try as I might.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Christmas is definitely full of sentiment! I'm pulling everything out today, and I'll put it up later while Dave is out of the way, teaching.

And as a former dyer - 100% agree... I tried to be very conscious of using colours out of my comfort zone. You tend to gravitate very easily toward stuff that you love.

karen said...

I decorated early and I posted the boxes early as well. I am enjoying the lights and the glow of the season. Advent is my favorite!

kathy b said...

Oh I hope you get extra days OFF!