08 December 2020

Perchance to Dream; and, Tiny Needle Tuesday Update

Have you been having weird dreams at times during this pandemic - at least more often than before?  Because I have, and they seem to go in spurts for whatever reason.  Most of them involve the kind of weirdness one might expect, such as animals talking to you, or realizing you are someplace without your mask (I guess that's the pandemic equivalent of realizing you are at school or work in your underwear?).  But the other night I had one that made me laugh, even when I first woke up from it.

I was seated at a long banquet table, with a bunch of other people, and they were all dressed in suits and ties, and other "serious" business apparel.  Also, we were clearly in a dr's waiting room, because other people were sitting in chairs clearly waiting to be called in to their appts.  Well, it turns out that it was a retirement party for Kym (who I happen to know is already retired, and who I have never met in person).

On the plus side (well, for her at least), people were making all kinds of nice speeches about her.  Then suddenly this event was over, and Kym came over to me and said, "Bridget, I know we have only worked together briefly [editorial note: as in NEVER at all, Kym!] but I wanted to give you a special gift from me.  And she handed me one of these:


Now.  To her credit, the card she gave to me at least had all of the buttons on it, not like this one above where some are missing.  But she only gave me one card.  Plus - and I know I'm seeming ungrateful here (because I am, for real) - but these are pretty generic buttons that I likely already have thousands of, for no good reason other than that I just have neglected to ever give them away or toss them.

Really, Kym?  This is the best you could do???

Then she said, "The reason I had the retirement party here is because I have a dr's appt in half an hour, and this way I don't have to do any extra travelling."

At which point I woke up and laughed for about 10 minutes!  

This is almost as weird as the dream I had about two weeks ago, where Hamlet told me (in a James Earl Jones-type voice) that his favorite kind of potatoes were mashed potatoes with gravy.  

I would also like to point out that I had not had any alcoholic beverages in the evenings before either dream.  Maybe I should start??

*****
In news not quite as weird, I made some good progress on my reindeer cross-stitch recently, and I am loving it more every time I get another part stitched!


Look at his little face and red nose!!  💖

This project makes me smile the whole time I'm working on it, I have to say.

OK, that's it for now.  I hope all of you have a good day, and may your dreams be ... oh at this point, I just don't know.

9 comments:

Nance said...

YES to the odd dreams, especially lately. And several in one night. And the strangest thing is that, instead of not recalling them when I wake up, I remember them clearly. Usually, I know only that I've had a weird dream, but can't recall any details.

My husband is having the same experience.

I think it's the sustained stress.

On a lighter note, that reindeer is too sweet. I love how you're showing us your progress.

Ellen D. said...

I have had weird or funny dreams also. Although, now that I try to remember any to share, I cannot remember any of them! I do love that little cross stitch reindeer. A really cute project!

Dee said...

Hamlet is not wrong about the potatoes.

KSD said...

I dream almost every night anyway, so I haven't noticed an uptick. Do you dream in color?

Kym said...

I'm sure they were Really Nice Buttons, though, Bridget! :-D I'm so glad to have had a starring role in your dream. XO (And Hamlet is so right about the potatoes.)

Araignee said...

Yes to the odd dreams...I wake up every night about 3 and then I toss and turn for a while and when I get back to sleep the fun starts. I could write movie scripts from the things I dream up. I just finished The Stand by Stephen King and it was one of the things his characters did during the "Great Flu". I hope we don't end up where his folks did. Thank goodness Biden will be guiding us after January or I'd start to wonder.

kathy b said...

Oh your lil reindeer face is so chubby and sweet!
Dreams used to be more vivid and stressful for me. I used to beg the Lord, to let me sleep and not dream I could wake up any morning and tell you one or two or even three dreams from the night
For whatever the reason, I sleep much simpler now. I have dreams but most are not stressful.
One that I do have from time to time, bothers me a lot. My sister keeps letting feral cats in our house and I for some reason ,can't distinguish which cats are mine! My daughter told me she has the same dream!

WendyKnits said...

I've had some truly crazy dreams since the start of all this, but only one that was truly a nightmare: I dreamed my Keurig coffeemaker died and the quickest Amazon could send me a new one was two months The horror!

steph said...

mashed potatoes and gravy?!? I'll have to check in with Shira....I think she'd probably choose poop with gravy.