20 April 2022

Easter Socks for ... Next Year?

Today I've decided to join Kat and everyone for Unraveled Wednesday, since I (finally) have a knitting photo to share.

Below is one of the socks of a pair I am knitting, using yarn in the colors of Easter (or spring, actually, but I think they look like Easter eggs).  When I started these, I figured I could have them finished to wear then, but that doesn't really work when you go for about a week without knitting a stitch, so that was not in the cards for this year.  But Easter and springtime show up every year, so there's no reason to call it quits.  I made up a little pattern for the leg of the socks, but will do the foot in just plain stockinette.  


Since this yarn was divided into two skeins, I'm able to make two socks at a time - which means that at some point, I'll just have to finish the toe on the second one and I'll be finished!  I like when I can do that, but am too lazy to divide yarn myself when I'm winding it ...

I haven't done much more on the cardigan that I'm knitting, so no photos of that project.

I also just started two books, and am enjoying them both so far.

This is my at-home book:


It's so lovely so far!  I have a feeling this will be one of those books I won't want to end.

And this is my read-at-lunchtime book at work:


So far, I'm intrigued, especially since it takes place at a museum.  Though I read these kinds of things, or watch a show or movie about a murder in a museum/library/archives, occasionally I wonder as I arrive at work in the morning, "I hope I don't find someone's body."  Also, I hope *I'm* never the body found by someone else!  Needless to say, this doesn't seem to be a common crime, so it's not really something that keeps me up at night ... 😊

In other news, last night we walked over to a graduation recital for one of the students at the Curtis Institute of Music.  This particular student had Part 1 of his graduation recital a couple of weeks ago, and we also went to that one.  He is a double major in piano and violin.  The first recital was all piano, but last night was piano and violin, and he played both during one piece!  Well, OK, apparently there are pianos (even Steinways, like the Curtis uses!) that record your playing and play it back - actually, the way the keys moved, it reminded me of the player pianos from old movies.  Anyway, he had recorded the piano parts and then accompanied himself on the violin.  WHAT?  It was excellent, though I pointed out to The Tim that I think it would have been more impressive if the violin had played itself while he played the piano ... fortunately, I told him this while we were walking home, because we both got such a charge out of visualizing that I'm sure we would have been thrown out of the performance if I'd told him at the time.

Anyway, that meant I was up later than usual (for me on a work night - for most people, no big deal), so today I'm really tired.  I think I may need to be sure I have an extra cup of tea so I can be sure to stay awake until it's time to go home ...

Have a good day, and if you are working, I hope you too can stay awake!

9 comments:

Nance said...

The socks are quite pretty and while reminiscent of Easter Eggs, they will be nice to wear all through springtime.

I had no idea that there were pianos that could record and then play back the pianist's work, complete with the keystrokes. I feel very old and out of touch now (no pun intended).

Dee said...

Pretty sock. Definitely looks like spring!

I'll have to check out the Time Pieces book.

Ellen D. said...

I like those colorful socks and think you could wear them all year! They are cute!
I have enjoyed all of Elly Griffiths' books.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those socks are just do darn fun!

Araignee said...

Fabulous socks! Your night out sounds amazing.

Kim in Oregon said...

I get why you think they're 'spring' or Easter socks, but I'd wear them all year long (when all you wear is black and denim, socks can be bright, imho).

And I love love love love Elly G!

Jane said...

I think those Spring socks would brighten up winter days as well as early Spring 2023. The concert sounds very interesting.

Kym said...

Great socks, Bridget!!! They are just the perfect Easter/Spring socks. I love John Banville, so now I'm very eager to check out Time Pieces. How I missed it before, I can't imagine. And I am dying just picturing the self-playing violin. Oh, Bridget. You just crack me up. XO

kathy b said...

That sounds 1ike a nice evening. The student must be quite ta1ented!! It is nice of you to attend.