04 April 2022

Remember When You Didn't Get Sick?

Ugh. I have a cold. A really awful, coughing, tired, blow-my-nose-all-the-time cold. Not Covid (at least according to the test), but a real cold.  The Tim had one last week, and I think I caught it from him, because actually the only place I regularly do not wear a mask is at home. I suspect he caught it from a co-worker, as he told me that a couple of weeks ago, one of his co-workers had a cold and he had to sit near them at lunchtime. Sigh.


I have the red nose and the box of tissues, but this woman looks a whole lot better than I do right now!

Anyway, I felt truly miserable starting on Friday, and then just awful over the weekend.  I still feel crummy today, but not any worse than before, so in theory perhaps that means things are moving towards feeling some better.  The Tim is feeling better, but still has a cough.  Both of us mega-masked up and went to work today, him because he is feeling better and missed most of last week, and me because I don't really see anyone else at work in any way that could be considered close (I mean, we might be on the same floor of the building, but most of the time I'm on my own for the entire day). If I had still felt really awful, I would have stayed home (and likely been lectured about it by the annoying supervisor), but since I only feel tired and have to blow my nose a lot at this point, I figured I might as well show up.

Over the weekend, I kept trying to figure out why I was suddenly sick, when I haven't been sick for a bit more than two years. And then it struck me - of course! For the past two and a bit more years, people have stayed home, stayed apart when they had to be in the same area, most of them (at least around me) wore masks, and as a result, I felt fine.

So although I think Covid has and still does suck big-time, there were advantages to certain aspects of life when everyone was being so careful.

Now please excuse me while I open a new box of tissues.

9 comments:

Araignee said...

Oh, no....I am so sorry to hear this. It must be so scary to get sick for the first time in the age of Covid. I know I am going to freak. I had a runny nose the other day and I panicked but it was just allergies. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

Kim in Oregon said...

Ooof feel better. Yes I agree, the germs surround us all the time now.

Vera said...

Feel Better Soon!!

Kym said...

This is the worst part about "mixing" again . . . the non-Covid germs are swirling! Tom recently had a cold (he tested many times for Covid, but it wasn't Covid). He was miserable, and (somehow) I lucked out and never got it. I hope you're feeling better soon! XO

Nance said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you're sick. I agree that masking and not being around people had its benefits in that area--people are gross and carry tons of germs. I'm glad your Covid test was negative. Isn't it too bad that the vaccine didn't somehow protect us from the common cold?

kathy b said...

Hope you have turned the corner! I think when we do catch something it is going to hit hard because we have been so iso1ated. Fee1 better!

Ellen D. said...

Hope you feel better real soon!

karen said...

I hope you feel better soon! we had the stomach virus at the end of February and I felt like my world was ending - the benefits of hiding from every one during the shut down was delightfully healthy.

KSD said...

Alternatively, remember when it was fun to be sick? No school, lots of attention. . . (Even the days you held the thermometer against a light bulb to "prove" you had a fever.)