24 October 2022

Monday FO Post: One Gift Finished!

Hello and Happy Monday when the Philadelphia Phillies are the National League Champions!!!!! 


Yesterday, I was at work until 4 p.m., and the game had started shortly after 2:30 p.m., so I got to see a good bit of it, and most importantly - THE BEST PART! So exciting, especially since it's been a long time coming, and as usual, the Phillies were the underdogs. (The Tim: I'm so glad they won, but now that means you will have new obnoxious nicknames for the other team, after I just got used the ones you had for the Padres. [Yes, his life is so difficult.])

Anyway, GO PHILS!!!!

Now, to the real reason for this post. I finally have completed a knitting project to show you - plus, it's a Christmas gift, so I'm well ahead of time having it ready to go.


Project: Preller Needs a Musselburgh
Pattern: Musselburgh, by Ysolda Teague
Yarns: West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4 Ply in the colorway Hope (striped yarn); and, Loop Sprig in the colorway Admiral (navy)
Needles: US size 3
Modifications: None


Notes: You may recall that I made one of these hats last year for a Christmas gift for Greg, husband of my niece La Liz. When I was showing it to my niece Amanda and her husband Pat, he said, "That is so cool - I want one!" Well, at the time, it was about 2 weeks before Christmas, so there was no way that was happening for last year. But I stored away the request for this year. 


Since I have been trying really hard to knit from my stash, I started by looking to see what I already had that might work for at least part of the hat. I knew I wanted to make a half-and-half type, to make it a different hat, depending on how it is worn. I found about half of a skein of the West Yorkshire Spinners yarn that I had used for a pair of socks, but I couldn't find something I liked well enough to contrast with it.


So I took the leftover skein with me to work at Loop one day to find something that I liked as the second color, and decided on the navy blue because I liked the contrast of it.


I made the Adult Large size, and although the beginning is fiddly to cast on, once you get going, it's pretty mindless and goes quickly. It's a good project if you want to watch TV because once you get past the increases at the top, it's just a whole lot o' knitting until you are ready to do the decreases!

So yes, I did buy a new skein of yarn, but a) I used half of it already, b) it will be a good contrast color for lots of other projects, and c) I used my employee discount, so it wasn't as expensive as it could have been ... 😀

Anyway, I'm really pleased with how it turned out - I think I did an even better job on this one than the first one I made, which makes sense because like most things, the more you do it, the better the result. I would recommend this pattern because it's a lot of bang for your buck, as they say. Particularly when you use two different yarns, and as a result, have 4 different ways to wear one hat.

Plus, it's Koodle approved.


'Nuff said, right?

9 comments:

KSD said...

Yes, and I do hope you have a "Koodle Approved" tag for the hat. People need to know.

Bonny said...

That is a beautiful Musselburgh! Congratulations on a terrific Christmas gift finished already.

Araignee said...

LOVE the hat! I haven't picked up the one I am working on in a long while and I really should get it back in rotation. I love a good lined hat but the ones I have are too bulky until it gets below freezing and who knows if it will even do that this year. Everyone saying how mild a winter we are going to have.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Love your hat! Especially the stripey side! So fun!
Jillxo

Dee said...

The heat looks great. Preller shall be warm (and happy).

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It looks great! The navy was the perfect thing!

Kym said...

That's a lovely Musselburgh hat, Bridget. I love the contrast! And how wonderful to have a Christmas gift all knit up and ready to go. (And I thought about you when I heard the Phillies won! Bravo! Enjoy the World Series!) XO

Ellen D. said...

That looks great! So many ways to wear it!
Congrats to your team!

karen said...

beautiful hat!!