10 January 2023

FOs of 2022 : Work Life

I thought I would show you the FOs I have from 2022 that are samples for Loop, since they are still things that *I* knit!

First up: The Worsted Watch Cap (Loop store pattern)


This is a basic hat pattern, and can be made in various sizes and weights. This particular one is the Adult Large size, knit with Big Bad Wool Weepaca in the colorway Gray Wolf. Sooooo soft!

Next: All-Ways Hat, by Jared Flood. 


This is the hat that in my opinion, for all intents and purposes, is the Musselburgh hat (I think that pattern is a lot more straightforward to read and knit also, but that's just me maybe ...)

Anyway, this is knit in Brooklyn Tweed Tones Light Yarn, in the Zest Overtone and Zest Undertone.

Here we have the Puff Cowl (another shop pattern):


This was knit in Rowan Brushed Fleece, in the Hush colorway. Another soft finish, but this one is hard to tink back if you make a mistake, since the yarn kind of melds together once you make a stitch. (This colorway is a lovely light purple, even though it looks gray in photo. That is my poor photographic skill, I'm afraid.)

Next, the Salut Cheri Beret, by Sari Nordlund (a free pattern on her website):


For this, the yarn used is Berrocco Mochi, in the Garnet Colorway. This pattern was quick and easy to follow, though it's only written for one size, which was too small for my [admittedly] big head. But it does make a lovely beret, and the yarn is luscious and comes in many really pretty colors.

Lastly, the Seed Stitch Scarf (no "official" pattern):


This was made with Malabrigo Noventa yarn, in the Sea Horse colorway. Noventa is advertised as Super Bulky, but it seems more like maybe regular bulky, but that's not up to me. Anyhow, this is knit on size US 10 needles, and involves casting on 17 stitches, slipping the first stitch and knitting the last stitch on each row, and doing K1, P1 each row to create seed stitch. This yarn is pretty, but it's really hard to use, as it really easily twists on itself while you are knitting.

It was really fun to get to try yarns that I might never try on my own for whatever reason, and to be introduced to them. It's also fun when customers come in and want to see something knit in a certain yarn, or a certain type of pattern, and mine is one of the samples!

The Loop patterns are usually free with the purchase of the yarn. If you want to "be in the know," as it were, you can always sign up for the shop's newsletter/e-mail list by sending an e-mail to knit@loopyarn.com and asking to be signed up. Usually that's where things show up, as far as new patterns, yarns, etc.**

So those were my "work" FOs for the year - not bad for someone who just started working there at the end of July 2022, and is not the world's fastest knitter. 😊

**I'm not encouraging this or pushing as part of my job, I just know that over the years that I've been on the newsletter list (long before I ever thought of working there!), a lot of good patterns have been added to my collection.

8 comments:

Araignee said...

What a joy it must be to be surrounded by all that yarn. I tend to stay in my lane too much because I am doomed to online shopping here in the middle of nowhere. I sure hope I can stay healthy enough this year to hit the festivals. I need a fiber fix and I need it bad.

Dee said...

Cool stuff.

When they stop being shop samples, do you get to keep them?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lovely finishes! I love the beret

Kim in Oregon said...

Nice work! I really like the color in the watch cap. I hadn't heard of Rowan Brushed Fleece but it looks gorgeous!

Ellen D. said...

I am not an experienced knitter but I did buy some cotton yarn at the thrift store and some knitting needles at the Dollar Tree and I will attempt to make washcloths! I hope they turn out! :)

KSD said...

Wonderful work! My mother said the same thing when she was knitting for a shop in Nashville: she got to try yarns she'd never have bought.

Kym said...

What great shop-knits, Bridget! Do they stay forever in the shop? Or will they, eventually, come back to you for keepsies? In high school and college I worked at a fabric store. The owners allowed their employees to make shop samples to hang in the store. The shop provided the fabric and pattern (which the employee chose/had approved), and then the samples had to remain on display for a certain time period. It was a great deal! (I made some really nice samples from fabrics I'd never have been able to purchase on my own.) Anyway . . . just wondering.

And . . . it sounds like you're enjoying this job a lot more than your past job. ;-)

karen said...

lovely finishes! I've been in a hat knitting kick that I am immensely enjoying.