13 January 2023

When 2023 Starts With A Friday the 13th

Yep, right off the bat, January gives us a Friday the 13th <cue scary music>.

Do you worry about it at all? I'm not overly superstitious, but I have to admit that I find it fun when a Friday the 13th rolls around. I'm not a fan of scary movies, but I am intrigued by people's superstitions and how for some, they rule their activities. I guess basically I agree with Baby Yoda:


How has your week been otherwise? Mine has, for the most part, been uneventful. Today I have an eye exam (yearly checkup), and I want to pay some bills, and undecorate the Christmas tree so that we can recycle it tomorrow. Philadelphia has locations where you can drop off your Christmas tree and it will be turned into mulch to be used at city parks. We make sure every year that we have ours ready on the last weekend that they collect them.

Tomorrow other than tree recycling, we'll likely put the rest of things away and stay put for the most part. Sunday I have a shift at the yarn store, and The Tim is on his own. 

Speaking of the yarn store, the other day I answered the phone there and a lady was calling from one of the suburbs. She said that it's hard for her to get into the city, so she wanted to place an order, but over the phone, not online. She wanted an actual person (which I guess meant me) to: 1. choose some baby blue yarn in the amount she gave me for a baby sweater; 2. take her credit card info; 3. pack up the yarn and send it to her. She said, "I know that Loop has a good reputation, so I trust that what you think is baby blue will be what I think is baby blue. And I know you will shred the credit card info so that no one will steal it. So please only call me back if you have no baby blue yarn at all, otherwise I'll just expect a package."

So I ... started looking for superwash baby blue yarn to send to her. I had the info on the yardage she needed, and though it didn't sound like she cared all that much about the price, I didn't want to spend too much of her money. (Though I've always thought it would be so much fun to choose yarn and not worry about price. But for me, not someone else, you know?) I found a reasonably priced yarn that a lot of our customers use for baby things in a shade that I considered to be baby blue. It was the day of Wednesday Knitting Circle, so I held up a ball and said to the group, "Would you consider this color to be baby blue?" and they overwhelmingly agreed. So I packaged it up, put through the payment, and hopefully the lady receives her yarn today or tomorrow and is pleased with it. But that is definitely the only time since I've started working there that someone had that type of request. I mean, it's probably less risky requesting something like that from a yarn store than from other types of businesses, but in spite of the "all knitters are wonderful people" trope, I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable doing that. 

Anyway, it was a fun if unusual exercise. 😊

Have a good weekend, everyone. I hope you get at least a little bit of time to yourself to enjoy what you like.

5 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Did you know that in some Latin countries, the superstition is Tuesday the 13th? Doesn't have the same ring

Araignee said...

I am one of those people that bad shit happens to all the time so I should think of this as just another day but here I am sitting on the couch afraid to move because every time I say things can't get worse they always do.
Love the story about the blue yarn. I spent the last two days looking for just the right shade of brown for a Riddari I have in mind. I don't think I would trust someone else to pick it out for me but then again-if I was giving it away maybe I wouldn't be so picky either.

Kim in Oregon said...

It's one o'clock on the west coast and I JUST NOW REALIZED it was Friday the 13th! Oh well!

I love that yarn story, and I hope she loves the yarn.

Dee said...

I used to work in a needlework store in Jenkintown. One day a woman came in and chose a very expensive needlepoint canvas and asked me if I though it would look good in her house.

Ummmmm...I'd never BEEN to her house. 🤔

Kym said...

I am not the superstitious type at all, so I tend to think of Friday-the-13th as . . . just another day. :-) I love the story of the baby blue yarn, Bridget. I hope she's pleased with your selection when she receives her delivery! (And I think she was lucky that you happened to answer the phone, as I'm sure you took her request to heart.) XO