14 April 2023

The State of My Knitting

Hello and Happy Friday to you! I have really been enjoying my week of no medical appointments or obligations with other people at certain times. I hope your week has been a good one as well.

Now that my cardigan is finished - and someday I do promise a photo or two - I can cast on other things, which is so exciting! So I thought I'd show you where things currently stand with my knitting projects.

Last Friday, I cast on a beret. It's going along quite well, and now I'm at a part where I am just knitting around and around for a while. It's living in my tea bag (see what I did there?) from By the Lakeside. I especially love this bag because most fabrics show coffee cups, and it was fun to find one with nothing but tea! 

This is the first time I'm knitting with one strand of fingering yarn and one strand of mohair. So far, it's fine, but I'm not sure I'd like using it for an entire sweater. Anyway, it's going pretty quickly, and though I won't be wearing the finished item anytime soon, it will be waiting for me when it gets cold again.


This past Sunday (Easter), I cast on a new pair of socks. The first sock is now ready for the heel, so I really zipped along with it. The bag is a giveaway for one of the Stitch 'n Pitch nights (remember Stitch 'n Pitch? I LOVED that, and miss it so much). I thought about using contrast cuff/heel/toe yarn, but didn't want to take the time to look through my scraps, so these will be just the main yarn all the way through. 


I know I bought the yarn online sometime, but for the life of me can't remember when or why. But I do like it, and enjoy seeing the different colors pop up somewhat randomly as I'm knitting.

And, I have some yarn ready to go to start the next project:


My plan is to start a Pressed Flowers Shawl with these. The color of the "red" yarn is really closer to a pumpkin-y orange, but you get the general idea. The light, variegated yarn will be the flowers. My plan is to start this today or tomorrow, depending on when I have a chance to sit down and concentrate for a bit. 

So, two small, quick-ish projects, and one that will be more long-term (at least at the pace that I knit). All of them are making me very happy, and encouraging me to keep going. I have approximately 52 things in mind to cast on after I finish these, so we'll see what happens as spring and summer move along.

***

Other than knitting, my weekend plans include a trip to Lowe's for plant and garden stuff; a stop at Michael's for some craft-y things I need and know they have there; and, maybe a stop at Ulta (which is right in the same strip mall space as the Michael's) for something I want to sample. That's the plan for tomorrow, which is probably a decent plan, since it's supposed to be rainy here, so I'm glad I wasn't counting on being outside.  Sunday I'm back to my shift at the yarn store - it was so nice to have a Sunday off last week! - and corraling the members of Knitting Circle, etc. 

And that's the news from here. Whatever your plans may be, I hope you will get some time to do your own thing, even if it's just taking a nap. Enjoy, and I'll check in again next week.

8 comments:

karen said...

love the projects! I need to make a trip to ulta soon as well. I'm working on a baby blanket and a cowl both quite enjoyable!

Araignee said...

The best part of finishing a project is casting on something new. You've got a lot of lovely things going on-especially the one in the tea bag!

Kym said...

I love all your projects, Bridget! And I think you've chosen a terrific color combo for your Pressed Flowers shawl! (And I realize I owe you an email response. Expect it momentarily!) XO

KSD said...

It all sounds so lovely. And I'd never thought about most fabric prints being coffee and not tea. What a good find.

Kim in Oregon said...

I really like the pressed flowers shawl, and it is one of the few I use/wear regularly. Your colors are awesome!

Dee said...

Sounds like your needles will be VERY busy.

I'm guessing working in a yarn store gives you LOTS of ideas for new cast ons.

Love the Stitch 'n Pitch bag. Do they not do that anymore?

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Your shopping day sounds like fun! Love the colour of the beret that you are knitting

andrea said...

my current sock in progress is also being carted around in the Stitch and Pitch bag! baseball season is upon us!