14 December 2023

It Comes Every Year

 ... but I'm not talking about Christmastime, exactly. No, today I'm talking about something that happened at Christmastime and that every year when the anniversary rolls around, makes me even angrier.


Every single year, when this day comes and I am reminded by these photos what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School, first I get unbelievably sad, and then angrier than ever. These children and adults died because someone had a gun. They were slaughtered for no reason whatsoever. They were killed because they showed up that day for work and for school. I'm guessing they were all excited for the holidays for many reasons, and going about their day as usual because let's face it, if anyplace adheres to a schedule, it's elementary school, right?

When it happened, everyone was not just shocked, but grief stricken, and it seemed like it coudn't be real. Politicians had so many statements about it, talked about so many thoughts and prayers, the need for mental health services, etc., etc., etc. President Obama had tears in his eyes as he talked about it (which of course some mocked and criticized him for, because of course they did).

And nothing happened. The families and parents formed organizations and have worked tirelessly to bring about real change, visiting legislators and pleading for better gun laws. But what has been the result?

Zip. Nothing. Zero. More shootings. Every single day, every single place, and the same politicians send their thoughts and prayers. There are even those who claim that Sandy Hook was a hoax, and never happened.

Now, thoughts and prayers are valid things, if you ask me. That is, if you are actually saying prayers and sending good thoughts to someone. It is often the only way that you can "contribute" particularly in some situations. And I think it lets people know that you wish them peace, send love, whatever. BUT I think for too many people, it's become an excuse to do nothing else. Similar to an automatic "How are you" when you see someone, and you don't really want them to start telling you how they are.  

The sad truth of it is, as some people have said, "If Congress didn't act to mandate gun control after Sandy Hook, and the slaughter of innocent children, they are unlikely to do it anytime soon." And though I don't think that means we should give up, it seems like this is the case right now.

So more school shootings happen. More innocent people are killed because they have the sheer audacity to live their lives by going to work, going to school, attending a parade, just leaving their homes. It happens in small quiet towns, and in large cities, and it happens to nice people not just terrible people or those people who might be "asking for it." 

And yes, there are terrible and untreated mental health issues happening in this country. That is undeniable. But if people with those issues didn't have such easy access to guns, particularly assault weapons, a lot more people would be able to enjoy Christmastime with their friends and families.

I have two issues that are my current top concerns - guns and reproductive rights (and fortunately for you, I'm not talking about that one today!). If people want to or feel they need to own  a gun, make it necessary for them to prove they are responsible citizens. And make it so that no private citizen can own an assault weapon. Personally, I find it hard to believe that an individual needs an assault rifle, and frankly if they do actually have that NEED, I think there need to be a lot of steps taken before it's even considered OK.

This is of course all my own opinion. Because you know, it's my blog. But every year, right smack in the middle of Christmastime, we are reminded that there are families for whom Christmastime can never have the same happy feeling and wonder that it did at one time. 

And it's all because of a guy with a gun. One guy.

It comes every year.

5 comments:

Araignee said...

It was my first year of being a retired first grade teacher and I remember vividly standing on my stairs when I heard the news and reeling from the shock of it. I lived through the DC Sniper episode with my class where we were locked in our rooms with the shades drawn for weeks. We had to use our bodies as shields to protect the kids as we got them on and off the bus after he shot one of our county students. No recess. No visitors. It was a terrible time. So much fear. The news out of Sandy Hook brought it all roaring back. It makes me so angry to know it didn't move the needle a bit in terms of keeping our kids safe. I follow Ana Grace's mom on social media and her pain is on display every damn day.

Denise said...

What a powerful piece you have written. Those of us in the rest of the world just don't get it. I am lucky enough to live in a country where guns are incredibly tightly regulated. A few people need guns (farmers shooting injured stock, for example) and some like going to the gun club to shoot targets but if you want to own a gun, it has to be kept in a locked, steel cabinet, registered, and so on. Police do random checks to ensure everything is compliant. The only time I have been to the US people with guns on their hips and for sale next to the lingerie in Wal-Mart simply terrified me.
Peace to you over this awful time.

Kim in Oregon said...

The lack of action is so frustrating. I vote only on views of gun control, yet the people we elect continue to choose to not address this issue. What can we citizens do?

KSD said...

I've been thinking all of these exact things.

Kym said...

Thank you, Bridget. I share your frustration and heartache. XO