28 February 2009

The Final February FO

The calendar tells me that it's time to say goodbye to February, which I know makes a lot of people (particularly the winter-haters) happy. Personally, I like February, and do not think it is that much better or that much worse than any other month. Of course, March arrives right after, with my birthday, St. Patrick's Day, St. Joseph's Day (zeppoles!), and the first day of spring. OK, so I will admit to being partial to March ...

In any event, this morning I added the final touches to what I have decided to call the Lemon Seed Blue Buttons Scarf:

I have been making this as part of a service project for a group on Ravelry. We have been making warm winter items for the Mattaponi Indian Tribe of Virginia. The guidelines said that they love bright colored things, so I thought a yellow scarf fit the bill quite well.

I just knit the entire thing in seed stitch - well, actually not the entire thing. The rows that are covered by the three blue buttons were not in seed stitch as it turned out (though they are kinda close to it). By the time I actually paid attention and realized it, I had knit quite a lot more, and was not willing to rip out and reknit. Once the scarf was finished, I had the idea to sew buttons across those rows - you know, a "design feature!" I found enough blue buttons to sew them on each side of the scarf, so that it truly is reversible; the two buttons on the bottom made it look more like I'd planned it that way, at least to me. So in the end, I think it will be a nice scarf for a little girl who likes yellow.

The actual yellow shade of the yarn (Encore Worsted) is somewhere between the picture above and this picture, where the scarf is being modeled by Morris.

Not a neon yellow, but not a pastel, either. (It's not easy to find good models these days. One of my original choices attempted to eat the buttons right off the scarf!) I am very happy with it, and one day this week it will be sent to the project coordinator, along with the Penguin Pal Hat.

Now it's time to concentrate on some other things to knit in March. Ever since I joined the Year Long Gift-A-Long Group on Ravelry last year, I've gotten into the habit of thinking of what I would like to accomplish in any given month, and trying to go about it in a more focused way. I found that last year it made a huge difference, and really helped me finish a lot of my projects, particularly those that were gifts. Which is not to say that I can't/don't knit something that is not on my list, because how would that be any fun? But as I have mentioned before, I do love lists, and having something "written down" really makes me want to do it, if for no other reason than to cross it off said list!

In other news, I will admit to being relieved that I am not the only person annoyed by the Geico-money-eyes commercial. As Jenn pointed out, who ever thought that the cavemen would be more acceptable?

9 comments:

teabird said...

Nice scarf! Funny how some colours are beginning to appeal to me, even those I used to hate. Yellow, for example, and orange.

Those commercials freak me out, but I do like the lilting, paranoid song "I always feel like somebody's watching me" - paranoia you can tap your feet to.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Yellow is becoming an obsession lately- and I don't know why- and like you, I love winter, but maybe we need Spring.

Mistrmi said...

Morris is a pro. No question.

Brigitte said...

I've threatened my models with replacing them with fuzzy things, and now they behave. Well, most of the time.

*sigh* I wish I could wear yellow...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I never thought I liked February, but after the first few days of March, I'd rewind the clock any day!

Maureen said...

Very pretty scarf, and what an obliging model (as only a stuffed model can be).

Lisa said...

You lost me once you said zeppoles...how was the rest of your post?

Mmm...zeppoles...

Hey my code word is dippie!

Anonymous said...

Zeppoles...yum!

Great scarf - love the yellow..