04 January 2011

The Tenth Day of Christmas

Thanks to all of you for the kind Christmas and New Year's wishes, and the nice comments, particularly about my scarf-a-thon.  I have been remiss about responding to comments, and I apologize.  Just one of the things I want to get back to doing on a more regular basis.  Oh - and if you didn't get a Christmas card from me, sorry about that, I just didn't get to that this year.  However, I found some highly amusing (well at least to me) cards for next year, as long as I don't forget where they are when the time comes to send them ...

Anyway.  I am not one much for making formal New Year's Resolutions.  This is partly because when I call something a "resolution," I seem to think it is carved in stone and can't be readjusted. Which then of course means that if I miss out on it, or deviate even one bit, I consider the whole thing ruined.  But I do like to think  of things I can try to concentrate on each year, if nothing else for the whole idea of self-improvement.  I think everyone has some part of them that needs at least some work.  So instead I think of goals for myself.  "Goals" are not - for me at least - final.  They are things that can be reinterpreted, revisited, and if necessary, abandoned, without the feeling or moral failure associated with a New Year's Resolution.

All of that is my long and roundabout way of sharing one of my goals for the year with you.  As you probably know, I love to read.  I'll read just about anything, but like most people, I like it a lot better when I'm the one to decide what I will/will not be reading.  According to Goodreads, last year I read 31 books.  Which is not bad, considering that for one reason or another, I had a few dry spells, when even reading a take-out menu seemed like a chore.  I always like to challenge myself with my reading endeavors, and a few years back, I joined a couple of online challenges, which were fun and introduced me to some new writers.  Last year I tried one, which I didn't complete, mainly because the remaining books on my list before the end of the year no longer seemed appealing.

Browsing around the other day, I came across this, and decided that it might be just the thing for me.


I like the idea of trying to read eleven more books than last year, and think that 42 books in a year is possible.  The thing that particularly appeals to me is that there are no specifics, you just decide for yourself.  My reading tends to go in spells - you know, sometimes I'm all about historical fiction, other times I like some of my old favorite authors, and I've even been known to venture into things like science fiction from time to time. 

Feel like joining me?  I think you should.  I'm pretty sure that all of the cool kids are doing it ...

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Hmmmm. Sounds appealing, I think I just might give it a go.

Lynn said...

Forty two books for 11??? Impressive!!!! That's abt 3.5 books a month. Not too bad when broken down like that......

Marie said...

+11 in '11 sounds intriguing but I don't think I'll commit to it yet. I would have to read 71 books this year. Last year I didn't decide to go for my goal of 52 until September. Then again, I would like to be one of the cool kids...

SissySees said...

I might have to explore that. Can my 11 be kids' books? It seems I've little attention span for anything more.

Carrie#K said...

I saw one challenge where they were reading 11 books in 11 genres. Intriguing but 11 plus is more doable.

You only read 31 books last year? Didn't you review more than that?

I had to forgo challenges. Freakily enough, once I named a book to read, I no longer had any desire to do so.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- What usually happens is, I'm all gung ho, and then around February, I lose interest in goals.

I should check that out -