Today's Ten on Tuesday prompt is:
Ten Things I Am Thankful For
I have a lot of things to be thankful for, and I'm sure if you are reading this, you do as well. Everyone, everywhere has something - even if not ten things they could list. And some of the things I'm thankful for are what I think of as obvious choices (at least for me): family, food, a job, clothing on my back, etc.
So I have decided that I am going to list ten of the little things I am thankful for, and may not think about on any regular given day. Because they deserve some attention, too!
1. Deodorant/toothpaste. I know that it shouldn't matter if someone smells bad, if they are a good person, etc., and I know that this is a First World Issue, but I will admit here and now that if someone smells unpleasant, it's really hard for me to deal with them. I can, and I do, and I've never ignored someone completely because they don't have access to deodorant and/or toothpaste. Nonetheless, I am glad it exists, and thankful that most people use it.
2. The fireplace in our house. When we decided to buy a house, we made a list of things that it HAD to have, and then other things that would be nice, but are in no way necessary. A fireplace was on the second list. Neither of us had lived in houses with fireplaces before, so it's not like we had any expectations. As it turned out, the house we bought has two fireplaces - one in the living room, and one in our bedroom. Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas seem extra special and cozy because we are sitting by the fireplace, and seeing it and hearing the crackle are the best. And with things going the way they are, I can imagine a time in the near future when use of a fireplace will not be allowed due to air pollution concerns, so I want to enjoy it while I can!
3. Stuffing. Yes, I could make it other times of the year, but I don't. That's part of what makes it so special. I would marry stuffing if I could.
4. Seasons. I love the changes in the seasons. I would never want to live someplace where the weather is always the same. Especially if that weather is always hot ... ;-)
5. Tea. I do drink coffee on occasion, and of course you probably know my fondness for other, er, "libations" if you are a regular reader, but next to water, the other thing I don't think I could give up completely is tea. I am somewhat picky about the tea that I like, though not a tea snob. But it is truly a comfort beverage for me, and does whatever I need it to do. In the morning, it helps me feel more awake, in the evening it helps me feel relaxed, when it's iced, it quenches my thirst and helps cool me off. I might have to divorce stuffing and marry tea instead ...
6. Music. Even if I am just singing to myself in my head, music is a constant companion, and always has been.
7. Words. Language. Without it, there would be no books, poetry, lyrics, etc. There are few things more wonderful than well-placed, well-written sentences or phrases.
8. Senses. I am so fortunate to have all of my senses functioning. It makes me realize that the world is more fantastic than I can ever truly realize.
9. Laughter. A world where I couldn't laugh or hear others laugh would not be worth living in, in my opinion.
10. Animals. All of them, even those I may not like as much as others, or that scare me. But seeing a bird in a tree, or even seeing the occasional rat in the park* is reassuring to me. I like knowing that the universe is not just about people.
And there you go. They may be "little" in some ways, but all of these things are as important to me as the big things.
May all of us have a good combination of the two in our lives!
*Please note: I do not seek out rats in the park, any more than they do me. And, I do not have any desire to invite one home. I just think it's good that they have someplace to be rats ...