04 January 2014

Christmas Day Redux

We had a wonderful Christmas Day at our house.  It was not a white Christmas (that happened yesterday, when we got 9 inches of snow), but it was cold and sunny, and especially cozy with the fireplace going.

A lot of people I know always feel sorry for us, having to spend our Christmas away from family, due to The Tim's work schedule, and though it was hard the first couple of years, now we look forward to the entire day to ourselves, doing it our own way.  And we are a family - I truly believe that having children is not what defines a family.

Anyway, the kitties and Dug were particularly pleased with their gifts, particularly those received from a family friend.  The kitties received something called a Busybody, which is a kind of flannel square with some catnip in it, and toys attached.  It was popular with all of them!



(Pip played with it first, but my camera wasn't charged them - grrrrrr!)

Dug received a squeaky toy, which he was enjoying until he accidentally stepped on it and it squeaked, which freaked him out for the rest of the day!  Fortunately, by the next day it wasn't quite so worrisome/traumatic, so he has played with it since then quite a bit.


The Tim and I didn't get as carried away with gifts for each other as we usually do, because we decided we wanted to buy new chairs for the living room.  But of course, that didn't mean there were not any packages to open!  Three of my gifts were books:


So gorgeous!  With a lot of historical content, which I also love.  I  may never actually knit any of the patterns, but I'll always enjoy the book ...


This is something I know I'll enjoy reading - it has a truly varied group of contributors, so even if one does nothing for me, I'm sure to find something I'll like, right??

And finally, this book - which makes the language geek in me so incredibly happy!  I am not going to read it right away on purpose, so I'll have something to look forward to reading (I know, I need a life).  I can't wait, but I also don't want it to be over, you know?

The Tim was pleased with his gifts, one of which was a universal remote, which he had been talking about buying.  When he actually looked at it, he said, "Gee, I'm not sure I'll be able to figure this out."  Knowing him though, it will become a personal challenge, and he won't stop until he has it working just the way he wants it to work.  As for me, I just hope it will make it easier to figure out how to watch different types of things on our TV ...

With our cozy little family, a day to ourselves, lovely and fun gifts, and all kinds of goodies to eat and drink, Christmas Day was definitely one of the best.  Which is as it should be.  :-)

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend Christmas!

Bonny said...

Just reading about your lovely Christmas Day gives me a cozy feeling! It sounds like the day was just what you wanted it to be, with everyone happy and content, and I hope your 2014 is filled with the same happiness, contentment, love, and peace.

SissySees said...

That's my kind of Christmas. The Knight and I are quite content to spend the day with the fur-girls, although we do venture to my sister's for the family dinner. I'm always happy with books as gifts too.

Mary said...

sounds like a lovely day... hope you're surviving all that snow!

Mereknits said...

Of course you are a family. Families come in all shapes and sizes and they do not necessarily involve kids. I am so glad you had a wonderful, relaxing day together, being together is all that matters.
Hugs,
Meredith

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Dug is hilarious.

I got the Tudor Roses reprint too. It's more of an art book- and very different from the first one. I was impressed.

Let me know what the Ann Hood one is like.

kathy b said...

Tis a Season not a Day! Hooray for your new reads!!!