28 January 2014

Another Reason Some People Think I'm Weird ...

I like wintertime.  I have always liked wintertime.  I'm not a skier, or an ice skater, nor do I participate in any winter sports.  I hate ice and ice storms, which are one aspect of the season I would never ever miss if it never happened.  I used to work with a person who said that people fell into two categories:  Palm Trees or Pine Trees.  I'm definitely a Pine Tree.

So I am more than happy to participate in Ten on Tuesday this week, where Carole has asked us to list 10 Things You Like About Winter.


1.  It's cold.  Or at least it should be cold.  I do not like hot weather, I do not like humidity.  At a certain point when it's hot, I simply cannot get cool.  But I can always find a way to warm up, even if I end up with many layers of clothing, a blanket, and a cup of tea.  Yes, it can be too cold outside, and I don't wish anyone to suffer from those conditions.  But I like cold vs. hot, as far as the weather is concerned.

2.  Snow.  The past few winters have been almost completely snow-less in this area.  I realize that some people have had snow in dangerous amounts, and I certainly don't wish that on anyone, but a reasonably snowy winter makes me happy.

3.  Coziness.  In the cold weather, there are many ways to feel cozy.  In hot weather, being cozy is the last way I want to feel.

4.  Knits.  I am a knitter.  I like it when I can wear the things I've knit, and there are not than many summer things that I knit, clothing-wise especially.

5.  Soup.  I love soup.  Except for gazpacho, I don't even want to think of soup in hot weather.  During winter, soup is the best!

6.  Snow days when work is cancelled.  Granted, where I work this is a rare occurrence.  But they are even better then, when they do happen.

7.  Christmastime.  I am sure it wouldn't feel like Christmas to me if I were in a tropical climate.  I'm sure if that is where I had grown up, it would, but Christmastime with me happens during winter.

8.  NO MOSQUITOS.  If you have  proper winter, you can go wherever you like, whenever you like, and not be eaten alive.

9.  My birthday is during the winter.  I really like my birthday!

10.  Sitting on the couch, cozy with warm clothes, a blanket, and a book, or knitting, or an old killer movie and a cup of tea.


15 comments:

Mereknits said...

I think you are making Winter sound quite lovely. I will be heading to Ohio this weekend so I am sure to experience a bit of it, although I am hoping it is not near as cold as it is today. Ohio State has been closed down for the third time this semester due to extreme temps, that is COLD!
Hugs,
Meredith

Marie said...

I don't think you're weird. I think you're one cool lady and probably a borderline kindred spirit. I like winter, too, although I like a southern winter. We'll have a few really cold days in a row and then it will get a little more temperate. That cycle goes on from about November until mid-March. This winter, however, is trying my patience -- too many really cold days. I'm looking forward to spring.

Kym said...

I don't mind winter at all . . . as long as it wraps itself up and moves on by the end of February (which never happens. . .). I, too, like snow and cold (if it's going to be winter, it might as well be WINTER) -- and all the cozy things that go along with it. Enjoy these freezing days!

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I think we are sisters with different moms. I am with you on every point.

Donna said...

Knitting is one of my favorite parts of winter. I love the cartoon at the bottom - it just cracked me up!

Nancy said...

Even though I grumble, I, too, like Winter.

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the hot weather. I hate the heat & humidity & feeling like I just can't cool down. I can always add more clothing/handknits/blankets to get warm when it's cold out!

Bonny said...

I love your pine tree or palm tree categories! I'm definitely a pine tree and your cozy list reminded me about the many positives in winter. I'll be whining about heat and humidity far too soon!

elns said...

Awesome list. I love the whole palm tree or pine tree analogy. hehe. Our winter is never snowy but it's usually gray and colder for her. But not this year. It has not felt like winter at all. Wish us some winter!

RedSetter said...

Love the pine tree or palm trees. I'm definitely a pine tree as very hot days drain the life out of me and I can be found indoors scowling out and longing for 10pm when a wee breath of air might be possible.

kathy b said...

Pine for me too
I love thenomosquito point

Anonymous said...

I am most definitely a "fall" person. I love everything about September, October and November.

But, living in Florida I have had to learn to tolerate the heat and humidity and after 30 years here, the cold really gets to me.

BUT, there is a certain beauty to a Florida winter and sometimes I even miss the snow I had when we lived in Philadelphia.

Lynn said...

LOL I LOVE your description of winter!!! You have just described what I like abt winter as well. However I would only like abt 2 weeks of it and then come back down to Florida. Actually we've been having a really cold winter, it reminds me of a cold spring in NY. We never got out of the 40s today (crazy) yet I have a forecast of 82 on Saturday.

One thing I will definitely agree with, you can't get the same cozy in summer as you do in winter. Before we moved from NY to FL, I remember sitting in our friends' house. It was cold outside but it was just SO cozy in that little cottage. They had no fire, but it was warm and I was dressed in long sleeves and boots and I remember thinking I needed to remember this feeling because I would never get it back once we moved to Florida. It's just not the same.

karen said...

you have a faithful friend in company, I LOVE winter. Even when it's blistering cold. Loved reading your list :)

Lorette said...

While I don't like deep freeze cold and snow up to my you know what, I also am not a real hot weather fan. You can always put more clothing on, you can't always take more off.