21 June 2019

Let's Do Another TGIF, Shall We?

I have to be honest with you - I sincerely doubted that this work week would EVER end!  It has been one of the longest weeks ever, topped off by one of the stupidest/most frustrating days (today), and I have never been more ready for the weekend!  I am in the mood for a TGIF post, so here you go.


Thinking About - how in a couple of hours, the Summer Solstice will be upon us, and summer will officially be underway.  Perhaps this being the longest day is why this seems to have been the longest week?  Who knows.  Contrary to what you may think, I try really hard to be excited for summer every year.  It's my least favorite season, but it arrives anyway, and there is nothing I can do about it.  But when the weather report on the radio says "Next week, summer really settles in; right now, it looks like every day will have high humidity with temperatures in the mid-90s," it's hard to think positively.  I am grateful for air-conditioining, even though I don't like it, but it's frustrating when it is completely ineffective both at home and at work.  Yesterday, according to the little thermometer I keep on my desk at work, it was 85 degrees in our area, with 72% humidity.  So today I am trying to think of things that I enjoy that I want to do this summer - things like planning day trips "down the shore" as they say here, at least four times this year; or, going to our favorite place for fried clams at least once this season - to keep my spirit from spiraling downwards. 

Giggling About  - we both really like Stephen Colbert, and often record his show to watch the next evening.  The other night, one of his guests was Tig Notaro, and she told a story that I am still giggling about!  I mean, just thinking about it again right now has set me off!  Here is what I am talking about, I hope you get a smile from it.

Intrigued By - people who feel the pressure to be "perfect" on Instagram.  I do enjoy looking at beautiful photos, of lovely things, perfect shots, etc.  But I also enjoy most of what people post, because it's a little glimpse of their day, that moment, their thoughts - you know what I mean.  Just this morning I have heard two different people say (one in person, one on a podcast) that looking at Instagram makes them feel pressured to be perfect in every way.  I have to wonder why.  I am in no way a well-adjusted person with perfect self-esteem, but it never occurs to me to feel pressured - maybe because anytime my photos are perfect it's a result of dumb luck and no ability on my part.  Even my best photos that I post on Instagram - or on any social media - are, frankly, not that great.  But to me that's not the point.  I just enjoy sharing them.  Oh well.

Feeling - nervous, though I'm not sure about what.  Also grateful that it's Friday, and the weekend is here.  Also frustrated by the state of our country.  Also tired, since sleep was not my friend the past couple of days.  Also hungry because, well, I'm always hungry.  I'm working on feeling industrious so that I can manage to clean up our craft room/office/junk room at least a little bit in the next couple of days.  I would be pleased if I could even put a small dent into the mess. 

And that's it from here for now.  Here's hoping that all of you have an enjoyable weekend, even if it's not perfect enough for Instagram.  ;-)

10 comments:

Araignee said...

I hate summer too. It's like a cruel joke. You go thorough a hard winter and then when it's over you can't even go out because of the bugs and the humidity. Ugh. I wish my ancestors had stayed in England.

KSD said...

I hope your weekend seems as endless as your week.

AsKatKnits said...

Excellent post! (and yes, I did laugh too!) (And, IG - really, those people need to get a freaking life! lol)

Dee said...

I don't get the pressure to be other people's version of perfect either. I heard someone say podcasters shouldn't talk about the things they buy because there are people who can't afford to buy "fancy" yarn.


When all I could afford was acrylic it never occurred to me that I should feel awful about myself.

I guess if I can feel good about acrylic, Instagram isn't going to drive me down.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

We have yet to have the air on here, which is amazing. It's a been a wonderfully cool, if rainy spring. It has me wondering what summer is going to be like. Last year was terribly humid. I don't mind hot, but the humidity just murders me.

Lorette said...

I am also intrigued by photos on Instagram. Most of those people don’t seem to have dust on everything, dog hair all over the place, and marks from glasses on all the furniture. I usually look at my photos and think, wow, I should have cleaned before I took that. Other people apparently think about that before they take the photo. 😜

Kim in Oregon said...

The Poet Maggie Smith posted this on Twitter today: Today’s goal: Take your cues from the summer solstice, the longest day of the year but also the shortest night. Light wins today. Let it occupy more of your mind than shadow. Keep moving.

kathy b said...

Well now I have to watch that Colbert episode

karen said...

I'm not a fan of summer and I wish I was as perfect as I think I am in my head. Instagram is a slurry of stuff that takes up time that I could be doing other things so I try to limit my presence there.

Nance said...

I am not a photo-taker (I have alarmingly few photos of my own children), so Instagram is a bewilderment to me.

Love the Maggie Smith quote. I think I'll make it a mantra: Let Light Win Today.