28 January 2020

Attend

NOTE:  This is long and somewhat rambly, don't say I didn't warn you!

****

Last week, there was a meme going around on Twitter.  It was for you to create your campaign slogan, and it was your last name, plus "2020," and the last thing you said to your pet.  Some of them were really funny, and some a bit disgusting, but mine would be:

Clancy 2020: Please Try to Be Sweet to Each Other

It amused me, and when I told The Tim, he said, "That's actually a great slogan.  But you'd be slaughtered by the Republicans for something like that."  He had a point.

But I was thinking about it, and of course, what I meant by "sweet."  That's a loaded word.  Of course, it can simply mean a piece of candy, which - if you know me - works just fine.  But when you are talking about behavior, it can mean two different things:  "Sweet" as in disgusting - you know, all bubbly, too pink, and, to quote my mother, "Something that makes you just want to slap a person."  But then there is "sweet" in the sense of being kind, considerate, and just nice to yourself and others.  I always tell the pets to try to be sweet to each other when I leave the house because that is actually what I would say to whatever family I would have, be it human, furry, feathery, etc.  You don't need to be perfect, and you don't need to overdo it, just try your best to be good and be good to each other.  In this case, I mean that I hope they will at a minimum leave one another alone, and at best, cuddle and interact from time to time during the day.  Pay attention to each other and be considerate.

And then, this morning as I was walking to work, I turned onto a street that I usually don't walk along on my way, and I was truly dumbstruck by something.  I happened to look up, and straight ahead.  The way the houses and the trees framed it, I saw in front of me an absolutely stunning sunrise.  It was the kind of sight that makes you wish you could take a photograph, even if you know the photograph would not come close to showing what you see.  It seriously took my breath away.

Then I started thinking about the last time I had purposely seen an amazing sunrise, which was a few years back when we took a road trip vacation through New England.  We were in Bar Harbor, and had visited Acadia National Park the day before.  While there, we read that when the sun rose on Cadillac Mountain in the park, it was the first daylight to hit the United States, and that it was a sight to behold.  The next day we were leaving to head back south and eventually home, but we decided to be sure to see that sunrise.  Needless to say, about 50  other people also had that idea, but there was plenty of sunrise for everyone.  It was unlike any other experience ever, to stand silently, hearing the ocean crashing on the rocks below, and then suddenly see light starting to show.  And then it seeemed that inch by inch, the sun kept creeping up until all of a sudden, it was a new day!

(From the Bangor Daily News, but this doesn't come close to capturing the real thing!)

I remember the day we saw this, it was just a couple of months after our dog Dug had died, and I thought how he didn't have a chance to see any more sunrises, nor did any other loved ones who were no longer here.  How seeing a sunrise means that in spite of all the odds, you have woken up to see another day. 

Seeing the sunrise today made me realize that all over again, and also made me think about how amazing it is.  I just happened to turn on to that street, and look up randomly and see a new day in the most literal sense.

I used to have a supervisor who, when someone would seem to be settling for less than they should, would say, "Raise your sights."  Today I did just that, in a different way, and just by chance, and it has made a difference.  All I did once I raised my sights was to actually look, to pay attention, to consider what I was really seeing.  I was attending my life.

So now I have my One Little Word for the year:  Attend.  I want to attend my life, and be in it.  I want to pay attention to what I have, and what I can do.  I want to attend to myself, my family, and my life in a more conscious way, trying to remember that no matter what else is going on, if I wake up and the sun is going to rise, I need to attend to it, because I've been given another chance at making the ultimate gift mean even more.

I want to attend, and by doing so, listen to my own campaign slogan, and try to be sweet to others.

11 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

Beautiful post, Bridgette! I love your word choice - it is something I could use a lot more of in my life! Wow. (And, my slogan... Kat 2020, That's a good place to poop! Yeah, I did not jump on that bandwagon, thanks Sherman! lol)

steph said...

what a lovely post...and lovely sentiment and goal for the year (actually for the rest of your life!)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Cool! It's funny how epiphanies hit us like that.

I like to sleep, so I don't see many sunrises, but they are pretty cool. When we went to Mexico, I was so excited about seeing the sun rise over the ocean... I set an alarm, got up at 5 am... and it was CLOUDY!!!!! I still got some neat pictures, but there wasn't much sun to be seen. And of course, as soon as I returned to my hotel room, I went back to bed.

Kym said...

What a perfect word, Bridget! It's so cool (in a tingly kind of way) when the right word just . . . lines up so perfectly for you. I can't wait to see how your word plays out for you this year! XO

Vera said...

Nice choice for OLW Bridget and a very nice post. My slogan by the way would be: "Lane 2020 No. Don't do that!" (Tyg was trying to bite my leg - a little nip sort of...)

Kim in Oregon said...

Great, great word.

KSD said...

When I leave the house, I always tell Riley, Maddie and Tap to "take care of each other."

The rest of your post was read through tears. Happy, inspired, thankful tears.

Shirley said...

What a beautiful post!!! My mantra is "be nice" and I remind myself of that often.

Araignee said...

I have such fond memories of taking the kids when they were young to Bar Harbor in the summer. The sunrises there are spectacular. I was so happy when Daughter took SIL there this summer to share her memories of the place with him. Sometimes I think that the kids don't remember anything about their childhood but from time to time I get a reminder that those were the best years of our lives and they haven't forgotten.

julia in KW said...

Great post to get you thinking! Pulled me right along on your walk!

karen said...

loved the post and your word!!