23 January 2020

"Somethings"


It's another Thursday, and another week where I have decided to take part in Three on Thursday.  Todays list are things with no relation to one another, but there are three of them, and so here we go.

1.  Something I will probably never knit = a coat/full-length sweater.  For example, something like this pattern:


It's pretty, the yarn used is bulky, but nonetheless, it would take me forever, and I would be unlikely to wear it more than once a year, if that.  Life is too short, and there are soooo many other things I would like to knit!

2.  Something I will likely never subscribe to = Patreon accounts.  I know that a lot of podcasters in all areas (aka not just fiber-related) have Patreon accounts that provide them with additional funding in exchange for additional content.  Which is fine, and I understand that podcasts - be they video or audio - take a lot of time, work, and effort.  But the whole idea just frankly bugs me.  I guess I'm just not a fan of having to pay more for extra content about most topics.  There are so few things that are "free" and that I actually enjoy, it kind of annoys me to then also pay something so that someone can show me something else they are making, where they went on vacation, etc.  It's just not for me.  And I felt this way before our funds were incredibly tight, so it's not just that I can't justify it at the moment.

3.  Something I really want to do = get more plants and have them grow successfully.  I showed you these last year, and do you know not a single one has survived??  "Get succulents, they said; it will be easy, they need almost no care."  I guess *they* were wrong in my case.


Right before Christmas, I did buy a tiny poinsettia that's hanging in, as well as a new Christmas cactus, and they joined my two plants whose names escape me that the lady at the plant place told me don't need a lot of sunlight.  So far, they are all doing OK, even if they are not wildly thriving.  I used to grow wonderful violets, but sadly, there is no sunny place I can put them where the Koodle can't get them.  The place above in the photo is not sunny enough, and he has knocked down any I've tried to put anywhere else, so many times that they gave up the ghost.  But I'm hoping to find some that will survive, because I do love having house plants.  

***

If you read my post last week, and wondered which of the three things was not true, I answered that earlier this week, in this post.  Thanks to everyone who played along!

8 comments:

KSD said...

I'm subscribing to a monthly succulent box, and have the little guys all around the house. They make good company.

Ellen D. said...

I am no good with plants either! I actually bought some fake succulents that I think look real just so my pots look pretty and I cannot kill them! LOL! Thanks for posting!

Araignee said...

I can't do plants either. I've got one big spindly something that I can't kill that I hate and a philodendron that I am pretty sure hates me. My mother could get anything to grow. Her house was full of plants and her yard was always spectacular. I'm pretty sure I am the reason all of our trees are dying. I'm cursed.

AsKatKnits said...

I am with you on all three things!

No long coat knit with bulky yarn - ever.

The best things in lifer are truly free.

And, I can't keep house plants if *my* life depended on it, much less theirs!

Eileen said...

I'm with you on house plants, had a horrible time with mine. If I could keep them alive, they would become stringy ,limpy and ugly! Until I started watering them with water I boiled veggies in or pasta. I can't believe how great they thriving!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I recently read an article on succulents, and the writer said this... "succulents don't need less care, they just take longer to die."
And it's so true. Most succulents need A LOT of light... and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense, they are more or less, desert plants - they get a lot of sun.
Sansevieria is one that doesn't require full sun - it's also known as Snake Plant, or Mother-in-Laws tongue. I've found it one of the easiest to care for.
Jade Plant is another one I love that's harder to kill.
Haworthia (Zebra cactus) is another great one.
The other key to succulents is good drainage (so you need a pot that drains into a dish, not a sealed pot) and the right soil. You can add a little sand to regular potting soil, or buy succulent/cactus potting soil. Water as soon as the the top two inches of soil are dry (I stick my pinky in, up to the middle bend.). It's usually about every week and a half for me.

For regular house plants, I like porthos vine... doesn't need a tonne of light, and if you skip a week's watering, it will usually forgive you. I find spider plants are also hard to kill as long as you remember to water at least every week and a half. I put mine outside in the summer and they go crazy. Just watch the cats... apparently it's hallucinogenic for them. It won't hurt them, but you'll end up with a lot of half-chewed spider plants! Oh, and Peace Lilies. they let you know they need water by going limp! I love them!

Lorette said...

I’m with you on the bulky knit stuff. And I can kill any houseplant easily. For some reason that escapes me, I have a couple of orchids that are thriving. They must love neglect.

I signed up for a Patreon thing once. It was only $5 a month or something, but totally not worth it.

karen said...

I don't do patreon accounts either. I guess I don't stick with anything long enough to subscribe to supporting them! I can't grow much either. I love them with too much water and if they survive that - Holly nibbles them down.