10 January 2020

Friday Stuff

FRIDAY!  I love Fridays, not just because it's the end of the work week, but because of the anticipation of the weekend.  Even if absolutely nothing is planned, it's two days that are MINE. 

The only plan for this weekend is to undecorate the house, and take down the tree.  We always celebrate Christmas through January 6, so we are generally putting stuff away after most other people.  It's always a little sad, but I lecture myself the whole time about how if the stuff was up all year, Christmas wouldn't be as special, and think of the fun getting it all out again next year will be.  Also, even if I wait to really clean up after, I can fool myself into thinking that the house looks cleaned up once the boxes are all put away.

Remember this?


Well, it is [very close to being] no more.  I got a few rows beyond this with one of the colors, and ran out of yarn.  Hm.  So, I thought, well, let me see if it's just this mini-skein, and kept going.  Sadly, it was not just the one mini-skein.  Since I am not in the brain mood to figure out how I could keep going with what I had, etc.  I started ripping it out.  I have just a little bit left until it's all wound back into little balls.  I'll put it all away until I decide if I want to figure out a way to do this, or just choose another project.  It's disappointing, but I'm a lot less sad about it then I expected to be - I think because even though I had quite a bit done, and was loving the project, I wasn't anywhere close to even being halfway finished.  Or perhaps subconsciously I knew this was coming.  I don't know, but it's all OK and the mini-skeins will reappear one way or another this year.

The Free Library of Philadelphia has a speaker series that happens September-December, and January-April (sometimes May), and they always have some very interesting people (well, I guess they are all interesting one way or another, maybe just not to me).  Anyway, in March, Hilary Mantel will be there, discussing her latest book (for those not familiar with her, she wrote Wolf Hall - which was made into a miniseries - as well as Bring Up the Bodies).  You have the option of just going to her talk, or also getting an autographed book.  We watched the "Wolf Hall" mini-series, and The Tim has read both books, as has my niece Amanda.  So The Tim sent Amanda an e-mail, asking if they wanted to come to town and go to the book talk, etc.  Never have I seen such an enthusiastic response to something!  So now we have something extra fun to look forward to in March.

I am still trying to figure out my One Little Word for this year.  The past couple of years, I've had a hard time deciding, and part of it is I'm sure, that I overthink it.  So I'm just going to try and not worry about it, and hope a word comes to me. 

That's it for now.  I hope everyone has a good weekend, see you around the bend!

7 comments:

Vera said...

Oh, sorry about the shawl, but glad you are not too upset by the unraveling. We are going to finish un-decorating this weekend too! Fletch took the ornaments off the tree mid-week, but the lights are still on (which are so nice these dark mornings). I still have my birch log and other Christmas things on the buffet, but will clean that probably on Sunday. Enjoy the weekend!

Nance said...

Oh, all that Unravelling! I would be devastated. You and other knitters are so much better about it than I am. (I can't even call it Ripping--too savage.)

There must have been something about this Christmas: lots more people have left their trees up longer than usual. I know you usually leave yours up through the Feast of the Three Kings, but so many people (me included!) left theirs up to enjoy a bit more.

I hope your weekend is a cozy and rejuvenating and rewarding one.

Araignee said...

I hate taking down the Christmas stuff. I always cry. I'm such a ninny. I have to say that not putting up anything this year was liberating. My highs are not high enough to overcome those lows anymore. I think I'll be keeping it pretty simple from now on.

karen said...

so sorry about the ripping out but look at all of that pretty yarn you are reclaiming!

Shirley said...

Oh, no, on the unraveling of your shawl! It was really beautiful with the colors you were using. Hope you find the appropriate project for that yarn. I can only shake my head at your three on Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

AsKatKnits said...

Oh boo about that shawl! But YAY for your Hillary Mantel book talk! Have a good weekend - and may your word make itself known and soon!

kathy b said...

I don't have a word yet. I think my word for last year was support. I was so relieved to be able to support zach through a long hard year in Chicago. So glad he is well and living in Mexico now. WOW I guess my word could have benn : lesson. . I learned lessons last year.

I also think I supported my father through the year with letters, love, dinner and with the final day I saw him alive. I joined him at mass in the nursing home chapel and I brought him banana cream pie