03 August 2020

The Grand Finale Winner for 2020!

Well, folks it's been fun - at least for me - and again, THANK YOU with all of my heart for playing along this year during Christmas in July!  I have started to really look forward to this, which is saying something since there isn't much about summertime that I look forward to, other than it being over.

Anyway, the winner for Week #5 is:

Nance!!!!

Here is what she had to say about who she would like to spend a birthday/holiday with, no matter what time or place:

If I could, just once, I'd like to go back and celebrate Christmas Eve with my family the way we used to long ago when all my Croatian relatives came to our house. I still don't know how we all packed into my parents' teeny little bungalow with its small front room and galley kitchen, but we did. There was terrific food and the grownups were so much fun to listen to. That was really Christmas to me.

I have to say that I loved this answer!  Maybe because I remember so many happy/noisy/crazy holidays as a kid with family and friends.  Our Christmases are lovely and fun and happy, don't get me wrong, but it's just the two of us and our sweethearts.  It would be nice at least one more time to have a big family Christmas again!  And I have to say, I'm sure I would be on board with the yummy food!  Congratulations, Nance!  Please send an e-mail to thekittyknitterATverizonDOTnet when you have the chance with your name and address, etc.  

Note to all winners:  I'm hoping to send out packages this week - you'll hear from me once this actually happens.

For my answer, I would have to say that I would love to go back to any given Thanksgiving when our family was all together, before my father died.  The night before, I used to LOVE "helping" him get things ready (I'm sure I never shut up the whole time) and then the next day also "helping" him get things ready.  My mother wanted nothing to do with the whole thing, and my sisters were otherwise occupied so I would have him all to myself.  We would clean the turkey, start the stuffing, make sure we had everything for the rest of the dinner the night before.  Then the day of, after the Thanksgiving Day parade was over, we'd go to the kitchen and get to work.  Well, he got to work and I watched (and likely talked. And talked. And talked).  But it was the best, and as a result, I am the only one of the kids who actually knew what to do to cook Thanksgiving dinner.  What does it say when your older, married sisters call you when you are 14 years old and ask you to help them cook Thanksgiving dinner?  😉

******

Our weekend was uneventful as usual, but I got a good amount of knitting done and got a good chunk of my cross-stitch project underway.  This Tuesday and Thursday I am supposed to return to work, so this week will be a bit different as far as what goes on.  We are also supposed to be receiving the lingering effects of Hurricane Isaias for a good part of the week, which means the trees, flowers, grasses, and other living things who have longed for water should be happy.  

And that's the latest from here.  I hope all of you have a good week.

5 comments:

Araignee said...

Congrats to the winner!!!
It was a great months of gifts. I always have so much fun answering your questions. You really make me stop and think. I'm already looking forward to next year!

Nance said...

Oh my! I never--truly--win anything. Thank you.

I like the idea of a 14-year old being able to work for the Butterball Hotline. There's your part-time job for retirement, and you probably can work from home.
You're welcome! ;-)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a lovely memory.

Dee said...

Congrats, Nance!

kathy b said...

Oh a young person on the Hotline! LOVE THAT. I love roasting a turkey. There is a place in Oklahoma that has the best smoked turkey. We go there each visit .