24 August 2020

How About Another FO?

You may have noticed that I was MIA last week.  I was sick, the kind where you can't really concentrate, you have a slight fever and are miserable, and any food goes ZIP right through your system.  Ugh.  I am feeling better enough to function, and the good news is that at least right now, I do not have Covid-19, as my doctor feared; I had a test and it was negative which was a relief all the way around.  So I'll take that and just hope I feel completely better in the next few days.

I was planning to post this FO last week, but well, see above.  So you are getting one today, to start this week.


Project:  Budgie Socks
Pattern:  Blueberry Waffle Socks, by Sandy Turner**
Yarn:  Hedgehog Fibres Sock, in the colorway Budgie
Needles:  US size 1
Modification:  I only knitted the pattern on the leg, and knit the foot plain.
Notes:  I am so very happy with these socks!  I've had this yarn for a while, thinking I'd save it to make something special.  But in the end, I decided it should be socks.  I remember buying the yarn because of its name as much as the color.  I had several beloved budgies (parakeets in the US) as a kid, though they were not blue ones, and my sister had a blue budgie for quite a few years which her kids just adored.  His name - unimaginative but truthful - was Budgie.  

At first I tried to find some kind of pattern that evoked birds, or feathers, or something like that, but in the end, I decided on the old favorite, tried-and-true waffle pattern, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  

If you have never tried this pattern, you should because you always end up with squishy, lovely socks and the pattern is an easy (and free!) one.  I've never been disappointed in the results.

Here's a slightly more closeup photo:


Happy socks, happy me!

**this is a link to Ravelry - I wanted to let people know so that they can avoid clicking over if it causes problems for them

12 comments:

Vera said...

Great finish! Hope you are feeling much, much better.

AsKatKnits said...

I love these socks! And the yarn does look like Budgies! (and in my house they'd be called Pixie socks - my nana had a blue budgie who was so awesome!)

Araignee said...

Nice socks! I think I downloaded that pattern once but that's as far as I got.
I had a blue budgie when I was a kid. Its name was Blueboy. Not very original either. My sister had a green one she called Casper and we had a series of canaries that we always called Peep.

Nance said...

So sorry you were sick. And I'm sure there was some apprehension about it being COVID and having to wait for test results. :-(

The socks are just lovely, and I think the pattern served the yarn well. Great finish!

Dee said...

Very pretty. We had budgies when I was a kid too. All of them were named Petey. I suspect some of them were probably girls. LOL

Hope you are feeling better soon.

KSD said...

What lovely sock yarns you've been using of late!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It stinks being sick, no matter the cause, but at least it's not COVID.

The socks are lovely! Well done!

steph said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking for a good pattern. I had budgies too!!! A couple blue ones and a green one.
So glad you are on the mend and that it turned out to be not the COVID beast! We sort of forget there are simply bad bugs out there that we can get too!! Hope you’re back to your old self soon.

kathy b said...

I , too, had a budgie that was Blue. Ernie for Ernie Banks Cub s Hero.
I am so glad you feel better. As for your last post, I think opinions are so importatnt. Being baptized into another Church after yoru death...is something I have never heard of.....I dont like the idea.

My father would tell me to make the sign of the cross on any baby in our unit that was dying. I coudlnt do that. He coudlnt see why now. I guess I believe a baby is loved by God , and given to us by God, so we shouldht have to convince God to let it back into his heaven.

ANyhow. Good posts

sprite said...

I'm sorry you were sick, but am glad you're starting to feel better -- and that it wasn't COVID.

Congratulations on a great-looking pair of socks!

Kym said...

I hope you're feeling better by now. XO
And those are wonderful socks.

Mereknits said...

The socks are a wonderful color. Glad you are feeling better, summer illness is the pits! Stay safe.