14 May 2021

Exhausted

Friday, Friday, Friday, I am so glad you showed up at last!  This has been one of those weeks when even though most of it was OK, one big bad thing happened to me at work that has left me emotionally and physically exhausted.  It annoys me that one specific event can control you for a whole week.   So I am especially glad that it's Friday and the weekend beckons so that I can relax and push the restart button.

At least Pip bounced back from his vet appt yesterday.  I dropped him off at 2:35 for a 2:40 appt (you still can't go in with them), and expected them to call in about half an hour or so to say he was ready for pickup.  By 4:00, nothing.  So finally I called and asked if he was ready, and if he was OK (because of course I was imagining that they found something seriously wrong), and they said they had been trying to call us since about 3:15!  The problem was, they had transposed the digits in the phone number, so no one at the wrong number was picking up (and they would have probably been really confused if they had).  GAH.  Anyway, I picked him up, he is fine and all is well.  But I feel bad, because he was probably wondering what was going on and why I wasn't picking him up.  The good news is that he came home, ate his dinner and continued on as if that whole blip never happened.  I need to be more like Pip!

Clearly this a.m. he is just sleeping all of it off.

(It kills me when he sleeps like this!)

So I think all of us are ready for the weekend!  I told The Tim that tonight we should celebrate with some martinis when he gets home since we all need this weekend more than usual.  He agreed, so that will be fun.

Other than that, I have an appt for a haircut first thing tomorrow morning.  And I'm hoping to get started on cleaning up the garden and doing some planting this weekend. The weather is supposed to be pretty nice, not too hot and not too cool, so that will work perfectly for me.  Right now, I don't have a lot to plant, because I wanted to see what else I needed once I got the stuff I have in the ground or in pots.  

Here's a tip for you: Asters.  They are native to the U.S. and at least in our case, they have been doing really well!  I bought one aster plant two years ago, and planted it, and now it has taken over 90% of our front planter!  I'm hoping to transplant a few into the actual garden and see if they work there as well.  They are such happy flowers, and even better, bees like them.  

(from last summer)

My other specific plan is to make some granola, which I might do today.  The recipe I use is this one from Clara Parkes old blog.  I make half of the recipe for the two of us, and it's plenty, trust me - last time, I zoned out and made the whole recipe and we had granola coming out our ears after a while!  But I can attest to it being an excellent recipe, so if you are inclined to do so, give it a try.  The best part of it is that it can bake while you are working, or cleaning, or doing whatever because once you start it, it needs very little other action on your part.

And as you probably have guessed, there will be knitting and reading involved, no matter what else does or does not get accomplished!  Right now, I'm trying to finish both the pair of socks I'm knitting (I'm on the foot of sock #2), and my Advent Throw (I just broke into mini-skein #24), and at this moment at least, I'm determined to finish them before starting anything else.  That could change, since I'm itching to cast on two other projects, and I usually allow myself three projects at one time.  We'll see.

I'm sure that all of you in the U.S. saw that the CDC has said if you are vaccinated, you can stop wearing masks except for a few specific instances.  I like that we have moved along enough that they feel it can happen, but I'm suspicious, because I think that now, people will just say they are vaccinated even when they are not, since it's being done on the "honor" system and so many people have no honor.  The Tim pointed out that it's on them, not on us, and I know he's right, but I guess it just seems sudden.  It will be interesting to see what the City of Philadelphia decides to do, since we have always had different restrictions, even from the rest of Pennsylvania.

I'm just glad that I got my vaccine and that The Tim will be completely vaccinated at week from tomorrow.  We've done our part, for ourselves and those around us. 😃

(I do have to admit to being somewhat disappointed that we'll have to go back to people-ing again.  Sigh.)

Have a good weekend - I hope you have a chance to relax, and to enjoy something you want to do - if nothing else, take a tip from Pip!

12 comments:

Nance said...

Poor little Pip, being orphaned through no fault of his or yours! But he looks perfectly fine and unless he is plotting his revenge, it seems all is well.

Mereknits said...

So sorry work had issues this week, that is no fun at all. I am suspicious as well. I am not sure I am ready to relinquish my mask even though I have been fully vaccinated for weeks. It just seems so sudden. Stay safe Bridget, hope you can recharge this weekend.

KSD said...

Briton and I are talking about how it it's going to be weird not to wear masks. It will probably be a gradual tapering-off thing.

Dee said...

Glad Pip got a clean bill of health and is doing what a Pip will do again.

Giroux sleeps like that too.

Lorette said...

I'm glad Pip is fine and back home. Either of my cats probably would have punished me with puking on something important.
I'm a bit skeptical of the new CDC rules as well. While this will mean we can relax and see our friends and family that I know are vaccinated and careful, I'll probably still wear a mask in certain settings and still avoid large crowds. This really isn't a big problem for an introvert though. I avoid large crowds anyway.
Enjoy your weekend!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Pip looks like he handled the wait just fine! Burton sleeps like that too - all the time!
I hope your weekend is fabulous and makes up for the bad day.
Dave and I get our first jabs tomorrow - YAY!

Caffeine Girl said...

I am so sorry to hear that work has been stressful for you again. I remember the last incident with the new boss. I got a really obnoxious email from my principal on Monday. Since I'm about to retire, I pushed back really hard. And she backed down! Should have started pushing back 40 years ago, I guess.

I'm a bit reluctant to go back to peopling. Keith and I are a very happy pod.

Our orange cat sleeps like that, too! Is there something about being orange?

kathy b said...

Pip is adorable. I get the going back to people people people, fear. Although I have to say that it is too too quiet when it is rainy and cold and we are stuck inside. Im really ready to have windows open. TO knit on my porch. And Im ready for something else...but I don't know what.
While I figure this out, I'll be knitting of course.
we shopped today in person, and with our masks on. Not because we aren't vaccinated, we are, but because it felt right to keep it on...
Outside. II leave it off gladly......
Yesterday we hiked the lake trail and everyone was smiling and saying hello ....wihthout masks

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the tip on the granola!! I'm going to give it a try. I too am a bit concerned about lifting mask restrictions-- too many people who have not yet gotten a vaccine, and never mind the ones who don't *want* to get a vaccine... I'll still be wearing it for a while yet while in stores; outside, probably not so much. And staying cautious. Luckily I am an introvert and I do like to knit and read, so I am not suffering as much as many extroverts!!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Kym said...

I hope you had a restful and rejuvenating weekend -- and that this week goes better for you at the office. Your asters are just lovely! I'm happy that things are "loosening up" a bit out there, regarding unmasking and getting back out there, but I'm with you. A little people-ing goes a long way . . . XO

karen said...

we had asters but the didn't survive...they must have not liked where they were planted. I love them! Glad your dog is fine and isn't it funny about the transposed digits? I've called all sorts of wrong numbers last week ( my mistake) and left messages .....