25 July 2022

All About Alfie

A lot of you have asked how our new family member, Alfie, is doing. It's been about six weeks since we brought him home, so I thought you might enjoy an update.

In short - he is a very lovable weirdo. So he fits right in with the rest of the family!

To make a long story short, he has settled in really well. Pip, Milo, and Alfie are all good friends now - that is when they are not trying to kill each other! They seem to take turns with two of them ganging up on the other one, and it's apparently both hilarious  and dramatic.

Basically, Alfie is a very sweet kitty.


He absolutely LOVES The Tim - so much so that when The Tim leaves to go to work, Alfie cries at the door for about 15-20 minutes. Then when he comes home at the end of the day, he runs back and forth the length of the first floor about 2 or 3 times. 


Recently, everyone was on the third floor of our house watching a movie, and The Tim went downstairs for something. Alfie had to move to the top of the steps to see if/when he would be returning, or in case he was needed downstairs.

He has a very sweet face:

 
And SO MUCH toe floof!


He's quite talkative, and The Tim thinks he's like a Tribble. Occasionally he meows, but usually he trills at you, or in response to a question. 

Last week, when I was brushing Pip and Milo, I thought he might enjoy being brushed - especially since it was so stupidly hot, and he has all of that fur. NOPE. He was convinced I was trying to kill him, so I'll wait a while before I try that again. Or see if he'll let The Tim do it, because that would prove it was an OK thing ...


As far as Alfie is concerned, there is NOTHING better than spending time sitting in a window, or even better, sitting in front of the door to the garden to watch the birds and squirrels!

He's a very sweet kitty, and quite affectionate, even if his favorite activity is attacking my legs when I walk upstairs. I think I mentioned that he has to take medication daily for his Pillow Foot condition. The first couple of times we gave it to him, we tried to hold him and give him the stuff (liquid medication that is in a syringe), and it freaked him out, big-time.  So instead of making his transition to living with us even more traumatic, I tried adding the medicine to a small amount of milk, which he thought was a wonderful treat. I told him it was his daily "cocktail."

Then I realized that although many cats love milk, it's not the absolute best thing for them, so I bought some of those Nulo squeeze treats for cats - those are a big hit as well! True to his weirdo status, his favorite flavor is Beef and Sardine, which just thinking about it makes me want to gag - but if he likes it, and it gets the medication into him, all the better!

He still hasn't quite figured out playing - though anytime you can chase a string, he's on board! Last Friday, I decided that I was going to break down a large tower of cardboard boxes (don't ask) that had been in the basement for a while. I wanted to break them down, tie them together, and put them out for recycling. A chore that should have probably taken at max about 45 minutes, ended up taking an hour and a half, because Alfie was assisting me by chasing and catching the twine I was using to tie the cardboard together. But he had such a good time, I really didn't mind.

So he's actually quite busy most days - checking the windows and the garden for squirrels and birds, attacking my legs, playing with his brothers, enjoying his "cocktail" or "afternoon snack" so I can get his medicine into him, and just generally being on cat patrol, as one always is ... when one is not resting from all of the exertion required to regularly perform the above tasks.


We love him so much. And I think he's pretty happy as part of the family.

10 comments:

Vera said...

What a sweetie!! And so cute. Mabel loves those squeeze treats (our vet refers to them as Cat Crack - LOL). I've been giving her a few more than normal in this god-awful heat because I figure it's a way for her to get moisture into her body. Mabel is another talker - ALL THE TIME. She purrs a bit, but talks ALL THE TIME and trills. She also talks to all the birds! It's a hoot to watch and hear. Glad your new rescue is fitting in so nicely.

Araignee said...

What a pretty boy! I love it when kitties make that trilling noise. Mine only do it when there is something on the other side of window they want to kill but now that they are old and lazy they don't seem to bother anymore. That's the one thing about having all your kitties be siblings-they are all aging at the same time when what I need is some good predatory action here in the woods.

Dee said...

Glad Alfie found his forever home.

Giroux loves those squeeze treats too.

Kim in Oregon said...

So glad that Alfie is so happy and has a wonderful family!

Nance said...

I love that Alfie is so happy and settled in with your family. It's good that he's found a Special Person in Tim. That's important for a cat, especially an older rescue. Heck, it's important for everyone to have a Special Person.

He is sweet.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Awww. I love Alfie! (such a great name). Seeing him laying there with the missing leg side up... that makes me thing of dear departed Tux so much! When he was laying so you couldn't see the other leg either (like your last pic), Dave would say Tux looked like a sock puppet!

I'm glad to hear they all get along so well. It took Rupert and Relic over a year to warm up to each other.

Mereknits said...

He is so lovely and has found the most wonderful house to be adopted into. Enjoy all of your beauties Bridget.

Shirley said...

That is such a sweet story! It is so wonderful that Alife now has such a great home and the other cats have accepted him. I will remember this story when I need something to make me smile. Love how devoted he is to his person.

Kym said...

Oh, Bridget! I got terribly behind on my blog-reading this week (I blame my extended lack of WiFi), but I really wanted to pop in and let you know how much I loved reading about Alfie! I am so happy to hear that he's fitting in to your "pack" so well. He's such a pretty kitty -- and so lucky, too . . . to fall into a life with you and the kitties and, of course, The Wonderful Tim. Thanks so much for the update -- and please give Alfie an ear-scritch or two from me. XO

karen said...

God Bless Him!! He sounds delightful! Our Holly adores my husband and pines for him whenever he is not here :)