27 July 2022

When Breathing Is Possible Again

OK, I am not foolish enough to think that it will be perfect for the rest of the summer (as a matter of fact, tomorrow is supposed to be an awful weather day again), but yesterday and again today, the heat wave of last week is gone and breathing is not painful anymore. It feels so good to just move and breathe and not feel pain or like passing out. 

I'm joining Kat and everyone for Unraveled Wednesday today, and I always love seeing what others are reading and making in these posts. So here is my contribution.

On the reading front, I just started this book on Monday, and so far I am really enjoying it. To be honest, I forget how I came across it, I think it was one of those "If you like ___ you might enjoy this" things on Goodreads.


The main character is a private detective who is blind and he has a Seeing Eye dog, which of course I love because our sweet Hamlet was a retired Seeing Eye dog. But regardless of that, the story is really fun so far, and it's fascinating how the author makes the main character able to use his other senses to do superior work to some of his sighted colleagues.

Knitting-wise, now that I finished two things recently, it was time to start some new projects!  First up, a tank top:


I've made progress on this since the photo was taken, but at the time, it was actually supposed to look like this, so there's no need to think to yourself, "Oh poor Bridget, that's clearly a disaster." 😊


Then I decided I wanted to make a pair of DK weight shortie socks.  Here's what I have so far on the first one, and I got this all done in a couple of hours. I got it into my head that a pair of DK weight shorties would be perfect for walking around the house during the fall. I have never before thought such a thing, but I seized the day (idea?) and just went ahead and got started.

I also have a project I want to start for a Christmas gift, but I'm still deciding on the yarn I want to use. 

What are you reading and/or making? Be sure to see what everyone else is up to at the link above.

9 comments:

Araignee said...

The best projects are the impulse ones. Your shorties are darling!

Vera said...

The book sounds good and I like your shortie sock. What pattern are you using?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Knitting progress looks great. I envy people who look good in knit tank tops. I always look like a lumpy potato sack.

Dee said...

Wasn't that but if cooler air delightful?

Ellen D. said...

I am not a knitter so I am not making anything. I am reading Sue Grafton's B is for Burglar and enjoying it. I read all of your alphabet mystery books years ago when they came out but don't remember any of them so I can enjoy them all over again! A benefit of getting old!!

KSD said...

You know I'm a sucker for service dogs; this just went on my Want to Read list.

Reading: "The Inkblots" --- a Rorschach biography.
"Democracy in Black by Eddie Glaude

Working on: my cotton quilt pieces
a Trap shawl

Jane said...

I am glad your weather is improving. I made two pair of shortie socks - fingering weight- and find I do enjoy them in the fall and spring when I am walking around the house. I'm working on a shawl, a sock, and a sweater. I seem to need a few projects to float between.

Kym said...

I'm so glad you got a break from the oppressive heat -- even if only for a couple of days. The book sounds delightful, Bridget. I always like finding little gems like that! And I can't wait to see your tank top. Sometimes you really have to use your imagination . . . to be able to figure out how what you're knitting is going to turn into the thing you think you are knitting! :-)

Nance said...

Cute sox! I wear them in bed in the winter because my feet are always cold.

We had two days of pleasant weather, and then the beastly humidity rolled right back in. Ugh. I am grateful for AC, but I don't like it. August looks...unmanageable.