22 July 2022

FO Post - For One of the Knitworthy

Well, I mentioned a couple of days ago that I had been knitting and finishing some things, so it's time to start sharing.  First up, a pair of worsted weight socks.


Project: Fresh Start Socks
Pattern: Plain vanilla sock
Yarn: Plymouth Encore Worsted, main color Burgundy (0999), accent color True Gold (1014)
Needles: US size 5
Notes: Years ago, I knit socks for Christmas gifts for all of my nieces and nephews and their partners. They were a big hit. Last Christmas, I knit a Musselburgh Hat for my niece Liz's husband Greg. He sent me several pictures of him wearing the hat, and told me how much he loved it. Then he mentioned that "Remember those Redskins socks you knit for me? They just now got a hole in the heel!"  So I wrote back, "If you'd like a replacement pair, just let me know," and he wrote back, "SURE! I'd really love that!"

Well, the previous pair were "Redskins socks" because he is a big fan of the Washington Redskins football team, and their colors are burgundy and gold. I had used Encore, because it is durable, has some wool content, and requires no special care, which I thought was a good thing. Even better, I have lots of Encore left from various projects, so I didn't even have to buy more yarn!

The Redskins finally got rid of their racist team nickname, and are now the Washington Commanders. I named these Fresh Start Socks because it's a new pair of socks for a new team, starting fresh.

Greg's birthday is next week, and these are not a birthday present per se, but I'm sending them to him so that he has an extra package to open. He has no idea when or even if I really was knitting him another pair, so hopefully they will be a nice surprise. Needless to say, if the weather stays this hot, I sincerely doubt he'll want to wear them anytime soon!

As you can see, while I was taking some FO photos, I had some assistance:


Fortunately, they are Pip-approved, or I guess I would have had to rip them out and start over ... 😉

There is nothing that makes me happier than knowing that someone really loves something I knit for them. Greg is one of those people who I would knit just about anything for - well, maybe not a black, fingering-weight sweater, since he is a really big guy, but he would also never ask, so I think I'm safe there! 

Another good thing about knitting these was that it really got my knitting juices flowing again. I had been knitting, but not that often and more just for something to do, not because I necessarily really felt like knitting. But working on these brought back the enjoyment, I think they were just the thing needed.

So off they go in the mail either tomorrow or Monday, and hopefully Greg will be just as happy to receive them as I was to knit them.


The photo above may be one of my favorite FO photos ever. Classic Pip!

Have a good weekend - if you are steaming and baking along with most of the U.S., Canada, and Europe, I hope you can find a way to be cool and take it easy.

5 comments:

Nance said...

They are also Cleveland Cavaliers socks! They look great, and I know he will be happy to receive them. Well done. (And I feel confident in that assessment because Pip...)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The socks look great! Especially that last picture!!!

How is your newest adoptee doing?

Kim in Oregon said...

Great finish! I bet he'll be surprised and very happy (although it is probably not sock weather wherever he is).

Anonymous said...

I knew right away what they were! My dad was a huge Washington fan and I knit him a pair of burgundy and gold socks ages ago too. I also knit a pair for my BIL which was a disaster because I tried to dye the yarn myself and the burgundy bled all over the place. I hope the team has as much luck as your socks this year. They are certainly overdue for a decent season.

Dee said...

Greg is going to LOVE those socks!