13 February 2023

No Joy In Mudville

Or in Philadelphia, either. Sigh. Our Eagles looked good, until the end of the second half of the game when the defense apparently forgot there was still time left that they were supposed to play. It was at least a close game that could have been even better. Sigh. 

Oh well, it was a good season, and it was all fun while it lasted.

I guess it's also just as well, since it rained all night here, and those celebrations could have been even messier ... 😉

Moving along, I have been trying to psych myself up to start the pair of replacement fingerless gloves for The Tim. I think the fact that the weather has failed to feel like winter has left me devoid of the inclination to get them going. I'm telling myself - and him - he'll at least definitely have them by next fall.

When I went to come into the house yesterday after my shift at the yarn store, I noticed this in our on-the-street planter.


I love daffodils, and normally I'm thrilled to see the first one, but this is just way too early. We very well may not have a serious enough cold snap again to damage them, but if they start now, they likely won't last much into March. Stupid climate change.

The funny thing is that every year, we pull out a bunch of daffodils because they get green but never bloom. And then the next year, we have even more come up and bloom, like they are mocking us. Or maybe they're just saying, "Whew! Thanks for giving us some room." (I don't speak fluent daffodil, so I can't know for sure.)

This afternoon I have my annual appt with the gynecologist, which I'm not looking forward to because, really does anyone look forward to that? I really like the dr and most of the time it's no big deal, but there are plenty of other things I can think of that I would rather do. But the good news is that since that's today, it will be out of the way first thing, and the rest of the week is clear of any appts, which after the past few weeks, is a nice feeling. I feel like I've spent all of the time I haven't been at work in dr's offices, or waiting to have tests done someplace. To have a few days with absolutely nothing will be a treat.

I hope all of you have a good week coming your way as well. Hang in there.

6 comments:

Kym said...

It is really freaky to see a blooming daffodil in the wild at Valentine's Day! It has certainly been an odd weather-year, that's for sure. I can see my daffodils just emerging, which is much earlier than usual, too. (But nowhere close to blooming yet.) RE: the footballs . . . Its so disappointing when our teams "lose." (Because someone has to "lose;" that's the nature of sports competitions.) But it's so hard to think of your Eagles and their great season as "losers." Because, my goodness . . . that's certainly not what they are! They brought great joy and hope to so many people, and from what I'm reading this morning, they were part of one of the closest, greatest Super Bowls EVER. Definitely Not Losers! (And . . . as they say in all the sportsballs . . . just wait til NEXT year!). XO

Dee said...

Such a pretty, BIG daffodil.

Yeah ...............the game was so good in the first half, but went downhill pretty darn quickly.

Ellen D. said...

It was such a high scoring close game. Exciting to see but sorry your team lost. I didn't have a team in the game so I could just enjoy it. The half time show with Rihanna was great - she has so many hit songs! I was disappointed in the commercials as I did not get a lot of them but that just might be me?! :)

Araignee said...

I wasn't very happy last night either. I was in third place and dropped to 14th in the friends and family pool but #2 Son did win all the money with his KC pick. Baby Grand won $200 in our Mom and Pop grocery pool just for having the right numbers in the third quarter.
I've got daffodils and crocus blooming right now and I'm ignoring them. It's just not right.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Your daffies are totally saying thank you for the room. I think you're supposed to split them up at least every couple of years to keep them happy and blooming.
I agree it is too early - unless you're in Britain. They have some types of daffies that bloom in DECEMBER! Can you imagine?
Nothing here is close to blooming, but it's all definitely farther along than it should be.

Kim in Oregon said...

That is just way too early for daffodils!

Wow, that was an incredible game. I had convinced myself that KC would pooch the field goal and it would go into overtime, which would have been epic!