02 February 2023

It's Winter, Even Though It's Not

 Happy Groundhog Day! 

Apparently, I'm one of the few people who actually enjoys Groundhog Day (the day and the movie, actually). I have always enjoyed seeing what Punxsutawney Phil has to say, and getting to see him all over the news. Of course, I also love winter, so I'm full of unpopular favorites.

But seriously, why do people get so worked up over a harmless tradition? Already today on the news, they have said that "No one cares what a huge rodent says," and that "This has just been a terrible winter, it needs to end." And I know so many people who become *furious* on Groundhog Day, because "Why should a groundhog determine how long winter lasts?" Um, you do know how it all really works, right?

And seriously, I realize that a lot of the country has had severe winter weather, but here in the Philadelphia area, I just have to say COME ON. We've had about 5 truly winter-cold days, including this coming weekend, which is supposed to be seriously cold. We have had barely a dusting of snow, which happened overnight on Tuesday, and is already gone, and it's been way to warm for this time of year. Plus the rain. THE RAIN. Not even April showers bringing May flowers. I mean, come on people, get a grip. This is not what winter is. Yes, technically on the calendar and metereologically it's the winter season, but otherwise, it's not. And yes, I know it's due to global warming, blah blah blah, but it still sucks for those of us who would always prefer winter weather to hot weather. As I said to someone the other day, I only slog through summer because I know once it's over, winter will eventually arrive.

Anyway, leave Phil alone, people! He's carrying on a fun tradition, he's not hurting anyone, and he makes some of us smile at the start of February. 

And remember to watch out for that first step, "it's a doozy!"

6 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like Groundhog day too (movie and day!). Though my heart belongs to Wiarton Willie (who said spring is on its way!!!). Sorry Phil!

Araignee said...

I love Groundhog Day too. I get ridiculously excited. I got up at 7 to watch the live feed. I did feel a little sad for him when he was in the tube thing for a bit but then I reminded myself it can't be any worse than putting a cat in a carrier to go to the vets. Mine howl like I'm killing them the whole time. He/she does seem to really like its handler so I'm sure after this morning's trauma he/she got plenty of whatever a groundhog needs as a reward for doing its once a year duty for a bunch of winter warriors grooving to the Pennsylvania Polka at dawn.

KSD said...

He's a groundhog, just livin' his life. C'mon, people. Lighten up.

Kim in Oregon said...

I actually thought of you this morning, Bridget, when NPR mentioned Punxatawny (SP??) Phil and wondered if he was a big star in Philly.

Kym said...

I think Groundhog Day (both movie and holiday) are just harmless fun. (I loved ANY kind of "special" day when I was a kid, and I thought Groundhog Day was really "special." It stuck.) We've had the mildest winter I can ever remember here! The winter-haters have nothing to complain about this year! Just a few days of really cold weather (including today), and a couple of snow storms. But, basically, it's been freakishly warm -- and it looks like once we get past this cold weekend, the weather will return to its balmy state. Enjoy your weekend, Bridget. :-)

Dee said...

I love when the animal rights people were complaining about the "abuse" of animals.

Let's see ..............he lives in a heat burrow. He gets fed (OBVIOUSLY ...he has a serious large butt), and once a year he has to predict the future weather. I could use a job like that!