27 March 2023

Good Signs in the Garden

This morning as I am writing this, it is really sunny and quite pleasant. I just returned from a walk, and went out into the garden to see how things are going there. You may recall that last year, I bought some plants and put them into large pots outside, and they seemed quite happy. Well, due to an unforseen series of events over last fall, I failed to look into the best ways to prune and/or fertilize them so that they would show up in some semblance of themselves this year.

So after my walk, Alfie and I went out into the garden to fill the birdfeeder and take stock of things.

I was thrilled to see that even though it probably should have been pruned, my forsythia has new blooms on it - when I bought it last year, the blooming period was already over and it was green, but that was it. I'm thrilled to say that there are quite a few little yellow blossoms!


The hydrangea looks like it is giving serious thought to joining us again as well:


And there are leaves and buds on one of the parts of the lilac bush, which thrills me!


My clematis that returned from the great beyond last year, has lots of green on it already:


And the one I bought last year, which seems to be more of a ground cover version, is also coming up! Once I can get out there and clear the silver beacon  around it, I'm hoping it will make itself at home.


And of course, the magnolia tree is quite pleased with itself (it usually is). 


This was so encouraging to me! Now if it will just stop raining for a while, I can get out there and clean things up, refresh some of the soil in the pots, and find out how to best take care of everything (if anyone has suggestions/info, please feel free to share!).  Then I'll be closer to having the pretty, flowerful garden I have been wanting to create, and at least until the *!!!^)^%$$# mosquitoes return, we can sit out there and enjoy it all. 

Alfie and I can't wait.

5 comments:

Araignee said...

What a lovely space! I wish I had an area I could tame. The wild woods take over everything. Now that we've got so many trees down I've got a lot of empty space to play with but nothing I ever plant ever takes. I've always said that the forest behind us is trying to tell us something and that something is ....get out. Lol...

Kim in Oregon said...

Oh wow I'm very envious of all your garden beauty!

Dee said...

Very pretty! My plants are way behind yours.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Beautiful!!!!

andrea said...

I love a wild leggy forsythia over a tightly pruned one any day. I say let it be what it will be! That being said, if you want it fuller prune it after this year's blooms and no later mid-July! xo