16 December 2006

Candles and light


Happy Hanukkah!
I do know that Hanukkah started last night, so I'm a day behind on things, but I still send sincere wishes to anyone reading this who celebrates.

Anyone who has been reading anything here in the last couple of months knows that I am a great fan of holidays. And as far as I'm concerned, if you don't celebrate the same ones that I do, I really hope you have one to celebrate instead!

Back when we lived in Chicago, there was a group at the University of Chicago who used to do a Winter Solstice program. We never attended in person, but they would broadcast it on the local public radio station, and it was just wonderful. I know people who used to go, since they felt that it was the only "holiday event" that wasn't over-commercialized. (You don't want to get me started on this topic at this time of year, trust me.) But we used to listen, because the music was so beautiful, and it sounded like such a great celebration.

So whatever winter holiday you observe, just give it your all, and enjoy it! And to those of you observing the eight nights of Hanukkah, I hope that the light from the candles of the menorah will give you personal peace and holiday joy.

4 comments:

Carol said...

That was one of the nicest holiday wishes I've ever read. Wow B!

the wicked witch of the east said...

now i'm gonna feel bad about mentioning santa holding an american flag whilst bent over the baby jesus offering birthday wishes...;)

Carol said...

Thanks B! It is fun!

teabird said...

Thank you, Bridget!!