I've finally decided which books I'm going to try to read for the Book Awards Reading Challenge. The idea is to read 12 award-winning books starting July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008. I chose a few books and/or authors that I already knew, but tried to choose most of them from ones I was not familiar with at all. We'll see what happens ...
So without further ado, here's my list:
1. Bruce Chatwin, On the Black Hill (1982 Costa/Whitbread)
2. Alice Munro, Dance of the Happy Shades (1968 Governor General’s (Canada))
3. Thea Astley, The Well-Dressed Explorer (1962 Miles Franklin Literary Award (Australia))
4. Jessica Anderson, The Impersonators (1980 Miles Franklin Literary Award (Australia))
5. Richard B. Wright, Clara Callan (2001 Governor General’s (Canada)) (2001 Giller Prize)
6. Ian McEwen, Atonement (2002 National Book Critics Circle Award)
7. Edward P. Jones, The Known World (2005 IMPAC Dublin) (2004 Pulitzer)
8. Gina Berriault, Women in Their Beds (1997 PEN/Faulkner) (1996 National Book Critics Circle)
9. Geraldine Brooks, March (2006 Pulitzer)
10. Ellen Glasgow, In this Our Life (1942 Pulitzer)
11. Loren D. Estelman, The Undertaker’s Wife (2006 Spur Award)
12. Ellen Recknor, Prophet Annie (2000 Spur Award)
I'll be sure to let you know this time next year, how well I did. I do have to say that in some ways, it seems daunting (I mean, typing the list itself kinda wore me out!), but it is supposed to be a challenge ...