14 November 2019

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Well, no, not *that* kind of darkness - though I guess it is an old friend, even if not that welcome - I'm talking about the fact that our daylight hours are fewer right now, and darkness is hanging out in the morning and in the late afternoons, instead of just "overnight." 

Unlike nearly every single person I know, I am always happy when there is so much dark.  Since today is Three on Thursday, and I haven't participated for a bit, I thought I'd tell you three reasons why I really like the darkness.


1.  It means that the holidays have come/are approaching, and if you know me, you know I love the fall and winter holidays!  This is the time of year that I really enjoy, as much for the anticipation of said holidays as for the actual days themselves.  

2.  The lights and the resulting coziness factor!  Lights in houses, office buildings, even car and traffic lights shine as much because they have to as much as anything else.  And then, there are candles, holiday lights, and such, which to me are such happy, twinkly smiles in the darkness.  They all show up so much better when it's dark, and where there is more darkness, you can enjoy them longer.  I never really feel cozy in warmer weather when it is light longer.  And I am all about cozy.

3.  It's easier to relax.  When it's still light during evening hours., there is always the feeling or implication from someone else that you should be enjoying it, doing something, taking advantage of it.  If you're not outside, people wonder if something is wrong with you.  Whereas, if you decide to stay inside during the evening to curl up and read a book during the time of the year when it's dark, no one gives you grief about it.

(And of course, my unspoken reason to enjoy the darkness this time of year - you know it's not gonna be hot and humid!)

Don't get me wrong, I love daylight, and there are definite advantages to longer daytime light, but I realized a long time ago that the darker, colder time of year made me a lot happier overall.

I can live with that.  :-)


This street is right near my house - the lights look so much prettier when it's dark (the street has these lights all year long)!

8 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I always get a little down when it's dark at 4... I wish we didn't set the clocks back. I don't mind the extra darkness, it's part of a cycle, and you're right, it does have it's upsides (I love my candles so much more in the winter), but I'm not an early riser, so the darker mornings don't bother me much. I'd rather have it then than in the afternoon.

I do agree that a good winter stroll on a crisp night to see the lights is magical. And what would Hallowe'en be without the dark?

Vera said...

Such a pretty picture Bridget! I love having dinner by candlelight which we are doing now...not so much in the summer - lol.

Shirley said...

Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year! In fact, I can't think of anything about fall that I don't like/enjoy. When I was walking this morning in 23 degree weather, I was thinking that it was better than hot and humid summer mornings. The street in your neighborhood looks like a fairy tale illustration.

Araignee said...

I like it better too once I adjust to it. It makes me stabby for about a week. I think the kitties yowling for food at 5 am is what makes the transition no fun.

AsKatKnits said...

Beautiful street lights! I am not as big a fan of darkness - but I do love twinkle lights! :)

Dee said...

What a pretty block!

I do love a good decorated street.

I'm in your corner. I love the darker times more than the daylight savings time period.

Kym said...

You bring up many good points about the longer nighttime hours, Bridget. I like the inside coziness and the twinkle lights and the holidays and the candlelight. But . . . it just goes on for so, so long. And it's so cold much of the time. But I'm trying to Not Complain and Make The Best Of It, so I'll just stop now! XO

karen said...

I love the darkness too. Call me a vampire :) I love the house being cozy and toasty warm with twinkle lights!!