06 December 2019

Five Favorites for This Friday

Hello fellow Friday-ers!  I hope you are able to get through the stuff you need to do today so that you can enjoy the weekend.  It's December - we should especially be able to enjoy ourselves, right?

I realized the other day that it has been a little bit more than 2 years since I did a five things on Friday post - what??!!  I enjoyed those, and for whatever reason it fell off my radar.  So what better time than now to do it again, when there are many things to enjoy and that make me happy?

So without further ado, let's see what I come up with, shall we?

1.  Knitting a pair of Christmas socks for myself.  I realized that I hardly ever end up knitting a pair of Christmas socks for myself, and so immediately decided to remedy that.  (And I failed to take a photo for this post, but I promise one soon!)  I am knitting the Vintage Fairy Lights pattern, which I started a couple of years ago, but decided it was too much brainwork and just switched to a plain sock.  However, I decided that I could figure it all out this year, and I did, so I am well underway, and they are making me very happy!  It doesn't hurt that the yarn I am using is in a colorway called Rudolph and Clarice. :-)

2.  Watching Vlogmas videos.  I really enjoy seeing how others are observing/enjoying this season, though I am also intrigued by how their Christmas decorations seem a) in a theme, and b) very fresh.  Ours are, shall we say "eclectic," and a lot of them are clearly loved many years.  Which is fine for us.  But I do like seeing into other peoples' lives, even if it's a specifically-set time, place, etc.  In my deepest heart, I'm a nebshit, what can I say?

3.  Lights and candles.  They make everything look happier and prettier, and I also find that they make me feel cozy.

4.  Decorating my desk at work.  God forbid our whole department put up any decorations, since they are on their best days, Scrooges, but - there is one other person who decorates her desk and since we are the only two that will be at work today, we've decided to have a decorating party, complete with Christmas music and cookies.  One of the few times it will be fun to be at work (at least for part of the day, if not the whole time).

5.  Turkey and dumplings.  Well, vegetarian turkey and dumplings, but in any case, I am planning to make that for dinner on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it.  I love making dumplings almost as much as I like eating them.  Granted, the "recipe" I use doesn't really make what most people think of as being dumplings, but that is what we always called them growing up, so there you go.  A couple of times during the winter, I make this meal, and it's one of our favorites.  I realized last year that one of the times I make it is during Advent, so this will be the weekend this year!

Do you have five - or more or less - things that are currently your favorites?  I hope so. 

Have a good weekend, and if it is cold where you are, make sure to stay warm.  :-)

12 comments:

Araignee said...

I've been watching the Vlogmas videos out of Sweden. If you want a simple and streamlined holiday, they've got it all figured out plus they have snow. We've got the cold but not a flake. Booooo.....

Anonymous said...

A few favorite things are included in my lists of what-to-do-before-Xmas, the calendar all of a sudden is calling me in an urgent way; knit Kaffe pillows for myself and next Xmas, make Xmas cookies, read those numerous books stashed away, get outside and walk!
Plus if I set up a schedule of meals or possibilities then I won’t have to think about them before Xmas and I will be happier and more able to get to my favorite things. Then I can also get to knitting a sock for myself like you - socks are my favorite things to knit!
Anonymously Annette

Dee said...

Hope you are having a wonderful day decorating at work.

Our decorations are minimal and eclectic and I've noticed less to do with CHRISTMAS than winter.....snowmen and penguins more than Santa.

KSD said...

I could not agree with you more on lights and candles. Though I have Nativities all around the house, and the requisite Santas, etc., my favorite decorations are lights. My single favorite has always been the light "candelabras" you place in windows.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Every time I see someone mentioning knitting Christmas socks for themselves, I always thing - I need to knit Christmas socks for myself! I don't have any Christmas socks - but then I never do.

Vera said...

It's beautiful right now - coolish, but the sun is OUT!!! Those socks look interesting Bridget - anxious to see your take on them (and your yarn!). Candles and lights at this time of year = some of my favorite things.

Shirley said...

This is such a wonderful time of the year. I am in the midst of baking and preparing craft kits for our Girls Day Christmas Party. What fun to decorate your desk along with your coworker. Anything with dumplings sounds wonderful - particularly in the winter. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Nance said...

My favourites right now: no snow; seeing cars with Christmas trees tied on top; crockpot meals; my orange cat snoring; wearing huge comfy sweatshirts with leggings.

steph said...

I love that you decorated at work!!! It's where you spend so much time, it deserves to bring you joy. Good for you!!!!

Needles and Wool said...

Those 5 Friday things are great! I should decorate my desk at work too at least put one little decoration or two to make it more festive where I sit all day long. We do have decorations around the office and I helped decorate a Christmas tree in our department so that's nice.yum vegetarian turkey and dumplings enjoy! I am vegetarian too so I would like this. I also enjoy watching vlogmas videos I have quite a few to catch up on now im behind! Enjoy your weekend :)
Lisa

AsKatKnits said...

I love your mini-decorating party at work! Around these parts, I am listing to my timeless Christmas music (you know the kind that takes you back to your childhood!!)

I hope you are having an awesome weekend!

Kym said...

So many favorite things! Mine right now? Twinkle lights and glowing candles, flannel sheets, my cashmere scarf, hot tea, and a fire in the fireplace!