28 December 2019

Hamlet's Most Excellent Christmas Day!

I am guessing if you are reading this, you made it through Christmas Day, and are [hopefully] still enjoying Christmastime.  Our Christmas Day was especially nice, and it seemed like a nice long day, instead of just speeding past before we even realized what was happening. 

Everyone was very pleased with their gifts - most of the treats for Hamlet and the kitties have been consumed, other than those in large bags or containers.  And with the addition of toys, boxes, and ribbon, it was just what you could want.  The Tim really liked his gifts, and was thrilled with the socks that I had knit for him.  Of course, even though I had been working on them in front of him a few times, he clearly had not been paying attention since they were a complete surprise.  :-)

I received some really great things, though nothing knitting-related.  Though to be honest, I'm not sure what I could have received, since I have plenty of just about everything I would ever use or need.  Only one item has to be exchanged for a different size, so I call that a success!

Hamlet in particular seemed to enjoy himself all day long.  Of course, whenever everyone is home, he thinks that's the best, so it started with that.  But he definitely thought his gifts were good ones.

I made him lie down for this photo before we started opening things.  The Tim said he is giving me a look that says, "PLEASE hurry up and get this done!"


His true favorite gifts (besides two pup cookies from Santa, one in the shape of a snowflake, and the other in the shape of a Christmas tree) were his chew toy and his unstuffed chicken.



The unstuffed chicken is apparently an excellent sleeping companion. 

Of course, just like kids, as soon as he was enjoying a gift, one of the cats had to try and horn in - but he gave as good as he got, so it all worked out in the end.

Later in the afternoon, we went for a walk and he wore his reindeer antlers - which he didn't used to like, but now that he realizes that they can get you some extra attention, he thinks they are great!


Needless to say, after all of the excitement, The Tim had a hard time getting him to go for an evening walk!

The Tim had to work on Thursday and Friday, and originally I had hoped to get together with some people during those days, since I was still off and had the time to meet for lunch or whatever.  And so of course for both of those days I was overcome with panic and anxiety about the fact that next week I would have to go back to work where things are particularly tense and miserable, and that was that.  The thought of having to even talk to someone - about anything, even the good and fun stuff - was overwhelming to me, so in the interest of my sanity, I just kept to myself and did things around here.  The kitties and Hamlet and I had some lovely days together, and I am feeling somewhat better, so that is good.  But I don't have many chances to get together with the people I'd hoped to see, so that was disappointing to say the least.  Hopefully I can figure out a way to make plans with them very soon.

And before we know it, 2020 will arrive, so there are all kinds of possibilities ahead, right? 

Enjoy your weekend!

10 comments:

Araignee said...

Awww.....Hamlet is such a good boy! Our son's Golden enjoyed his presents too. He always steals the show away from the Grands. Pup is totally in love with him. The sad thing is that when we walk her she runs up to every Golden thinking it's Cooper and then she is so visibly sad when it's not.
I am so sorry to hear of your work woes. The worst feeling ever, when I was teaching, was the going back to work after Christmas blues. I swear I cried my whole way back to school every year. I had to put a box of tissues in the car just for the occasion.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Hamlet is so handsome!
Sorry about the anxiety. I know what that's like as I've worked at some truly terrible places. Hopefully things ease a bit for you in the new year.

kathy b said...

Oh Hanlet reminds me of Hucky Boy. Poor Miss Pie and all of our cats. They were super stressed. I miss the family and friends, but the cats are much less stressed and catching up on their sleep in a big way

AsKatKnits said...

Hamlet's before present opening picture is so awesome! I agree with Tim, lol!!

I am thankful that this is another short week - and I hope your work stress will be manageable with that in mind!

Nance said...

What a lovely Christmas you had at home! It sounds cozy and loving, which is what Christmas should be.

I do hope you find your way toward a balance of work life and Real Life that makes you happy and less stressed. I know how difficult that can be.

KSD said...

If I start wearing reindeer antlers, will I get extra attention?

Yeah, you're right --- probably the wrong kind of extra.

Shirley said...

What wonderful photos of Hamlet! Christmas was wonderful time with family and friends but does not seem like it was just a few days ago. Seems more like a few weeks ago. Glad you enjoyed each day off and hope the transition back will be easier than expected. I can remember times of just making myself miserable the last half of my day off before returning to work.

Mereknits said...

My boys had an excellent day, they loved their new toys and have already chewed up four of them that are now in the garbage. Hamlet adds so much fun to the day. Glad you stayed home and did your thing, I think work can be so draining and you just need time to recuperate. That being said I worked two days last week and will be working 2 1/2 this week. Still it is a bit of a break. Happy New Year!

karen said...

Merry Christmas! Frodo is 10 years old so the novelty of toys has waned. However 2 yo Holly LOVED all of her stuffed little mice. I gave her some of them and will eek out the rest during the year. I think I bought 11 - 15 of them.....

Kym said...

Hamlet looks like he is having a wonderful Christmas in his photos! What fun -- for you and Tim and ALL of your furry friends. I'm sorry your work-stress leaked its way into your break, but I'm glad you found the time for some relaxation and recharging despite the worries! Sending you all the good juju for this week. XO