01 April 2020

March Knitting

Hello all - well, it's April 1st, so a new month is here to greet us.  I don't know what is coming, but that's the thing, the world keeps going anyway, not caring if we are happy, sad, nervous, whatever.  In some ways it's reaasuring.

I have finally managed to remember that today is Wednesday, and decided to join Kat and everyone for Unraveled Wednesday.  Oh the unraveling that occurred during March!  Fortunately, right now, I'm moving right along.  Here are the two things I was knitting during the month:


On your left, is sock #2 of my March KAL socks.  All that is left is the rest of the foot and the toe, and that will likely happen by the end of this weekend at the latest.  So I won't have finished during the month, as I'd hoped, but I'll just be a week late.  Not too bad, considering that I had concentration issues, and this pattern also presented me with a new heel construction that took me a while to do.

On the right, is a smooshed up sweater-in-progress.  I spent way too much time unraveling and re-knitting the neck on this when I started, but now it's underway.  However, the only needles that were the correct size were also on a cable that was too short, so I'm waiting for the new needles that I ordered from WEBS to arrive, becuase there are just way too many stitches on the size needle I have and it's making it a PITA to knit. 

Please do not count on either project being the color in the photo - not even really close, but this is as well as I could do at the moment.

As for reading, this is what I'm going to attempt to start next:


Generally, this kind of book would not be my cup of tea (cup of blood?), but a friend sent it to me to read, and a friend of hers wrote it.  It may be OK, it doesn't sound completely out of my wheelhouse, and there are Jesuits, so that might make it a bit more interesting to me.  I'll let you know.  :-)

I see that a lot of people (OK, tons of people) are using this time to start baking with sourdough.  I am somewhat amused, because The Tim has been baking with sourdough for years, and most of the time, people give him a strange look when he mentions it.  He makes bread every week, and then maybe every other week or so, another variation using the sourdough.  I told him for once he was on the cutting edge of a trend!  That's him, always way ahead of the curve ... hahahaha.

Let me know what you are knitting/reading/doing these days, and please know that I hope all of you and yours are well.  Though things may not get better anytime soon, it's clear that we will get there if people stop being selfish and realize that we all need to work together.  It's not easy, and not necessarily pleasant, but it's better than the alternative, right?

Take care.

6 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

It was sourdough by force in my household...the yeast shortage hit at the exact time I wanted to bake bread, but who knew all the incredible things you can do with sourdough!

(and sock knitting is my new jam!)

Araignee said...

I must be crazy but I've been following the sourdough craze and it scares me to death to let something foam on your counter and then-gasp, eat it. I know people have been doing it for ages but I just know I would poison myself. And I have plenty of yeast-but couldn't get any flour. No substitutions for that that I've seen-yet.

Kym said...

I made sourdough bread - faithfully - every day for years and years. (Until my starter finally . . . turned on me. And I never started up again.) I think it's funny how folks all jump on a bandwagon for something or other . . . who knows what it'll be next!??!

We're well here. Staying home and only venturing out for an occasional grocery run. (We're well-stocked, so that doesn't happen very often.) I'm staying in touch with my family via Zoom and FaceTime. And wondering where my days go . . . (they fly by, but I don't seem to be doing anything at all). XO

Nance said...

Everyone at the Dept. is fine so far. My concentration is such that I'm not reading anything at the moment, and I haven't gotten back to knitting since my fall in November. It's as if it knocked the Knitting Hobby right out of me.

I think I'll get back to both, but when the time is right. They are my pleasures, and one does not force Pleasure.

kathy b said...

You put it well. We can do this! Its tough, its frightening but it is not random.
I love sour dough bread but I have never made it!

Friends have suggested some books especially :the Miracle Creek Mystery.

I am finishing a book on adult orphan grief. It is very good.

karen said...

lovely knitting projects going on. I wish I could concentrate better on books that I'm reading but I'm doing pretty good under the dire circumstances!