16 April 2020

Sometimes You Gotta Do Some Digging

... but if you dig long and deep enough, you can find some good things, even during this time when you might be thinking otherwise.

Pip takes a nap

So I decided to share Three Good Things for this week's Three on Thursday.

Thing #1:  As I mentioned earlier this week, we had a virtual staff meeting on Tuesday, where we were going to learn more about how things are going to be in the short term, moving forward.  We learned that except for administration and scientific staff, everyone else will be getting a 25% reduction in salary going forward.  As of right now, no one is laid off or let go.  So although I am not pleased to be getting a salary reduction - it happened before right before I started working where I am now, and was never "made up," so to speak - I am glad that for the moment I will still be getting a paycheck at all.  (I'm also not surprised at who is not getting a salary reduction, once the CEO started talking at all, I felt like we all knew that would be the case, as those people have contracts.) 

Also - I'm counting two things as one, since they are related - The Tim qualified for unemployment benefits, and was notified this morning that they will do a direct deposit in the next couple of days.  Even before any of this started, we were operating on fumes, so at least we won't have to use up all of our savings right off the bat.  That was for sure good news!

Thing #2:  I am enjoying being able to listen to/watch the podcasts that I enjoy, and a lot of them are more regularly available now since a lot of people doing them are also at home with the time to record.  A lot of the time, I kinda pick and choose since I don't have the luxury of the extra time to pay attention to them, but currently I'm liking the chance to not have to be as picky.

Thing #3:  My reading mojo is definitely back!  For the past few weeks, I've been in the mood to read, but had a hard time settling on what I wanted to read, and therefore just stopped for a while.  It was really bugging me, so I decided to try reading some things that were not intended to be deep, meaningful, or edifying, but rather were meant to be interesting and entertaining.  That seems to have been the perfect solution.  So now I'm not just reading, but enjoying what I'm reading and actually finishing the book.  Win-win!

Today I could technically add Thing #4, as right now The Tim is downstairs putting homemade chocolate chip cookies in the oven to bake.  Those are good, no matter what else is or is not happening, right???

7 comments:

Dee said...

Oh my golly......that crazy kitty leg.

Enjoy the cookies. I'm thinking maybe a hot milk cake or some lemon bars might be heading towards our oven. I haven't quite decided yet.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I always try to look for the light in the darkness too.

We got hit with a 10% pay reduction. But we've hit back with, ok, that's cool, but that means we are taking two days off a month (which is approximately 10% of our work days). I'm glad I have coworkers who see think of these things.
There have been some layoffs, and I'm grateful I'm not one of them

Vera said...

Oh yum!!! Cookies for the win! Glad your reading mojo is back and that your pay cut isn't TOO severe and that The Tim qualified. Those are all big things.

Araignee said...

I've got the chips but I don't have the brown sugar or I'd have had a batch by now too. I've read you can sub regular sugar and molasses which I have but I'm afraid to do it. I can't afford to waste an egg right now. They are hard to come by and sometimes my only protein source for the day.

Shirley said...

Sorry about the pay cut but hope you are able to keep all your benefits. When I walk in the mornings, there is no traffic on the road. People have either been laid off or are working from home. It is so strange and sad. Great cat photo.

Nance said...

I'm sorry about your pay cut.

But I'm so SO HAPPY that you're Reading again! That's such terrific news! I understand how all of that feels (I'm going through it again, and I feel a breakthrough coming, too).

And now you have cookies to celebrate it! Hooray!

AsKatKnits said...

Oh ugh on the pay cut... that truly sucks. (But, thank goodness that unemployment is working - and paying!)

I have found my reading mojo as well and I have also been happy to abandon a book that is just not working.