28 April 2020

One of My Quarantine Projects - Finito!

Hooray, hooray, hooray!  Today is a very pretty, sunny day, and I have an FO to show you.  Both are equally as pleasing to me.

Here is the completed pair:


Project:  Easter Egg Scrappy Shortie Socks
Yarn:  various yarns - leftovers and some from an Advent calendar a couple of years ago
Needles:  US size 1
Pattern:  Improvised
Notes:  These were really fun to knit - the "let me do just one more color" syndrome helping me finish them pretty quickly.  If you look very very closely - and to some degree, even I can't distinguish - you'll notice that the heel flaps and heels are slightly different colors.  I ran out of the first deep red on the first sock, and used a slightly more deep brick red on the second.  And only once they were nearly finished did I realize that I had switched the shades of green after the gold-speckly stripes.  I don't care, and should anyone else mention it, my first question would be 'Why are you that close to my feet??"  But I'm including the info here in the spirit of full disclosure.  😊

For anyone interested, I will tell you how I made these.  The basic idea was to do eight rows of each color that I was using (I chose the colors but did not organize them ahead of time; I started these shortly before Easter, so had Easter egg colors on the brain).  I knew that I would use one color that would be more than eight rows for the heel flap and heel turn, so I knew that would be different.  

I cast on 60 stitches, and did 8 rows of 2 x 2 ribbing with the first color; then 4 more rows of ribbing with the second color, followed by 4 rows of stockinette with that color.  Then I started the heel flap and gusset, then continued on with 8 rows of stockinette each time.  When I got to the yellow, I decided that I would like the toes to be yellow, so I did 4 rows of stockinette, and then started the decreases for the toe.  

After making the first sock, I was out of the red used in the heel flap and turn, so I found another leftover that was close, but a little bit more of a dark brick red for the second sock.  And also on the second sock when I went to add the second green stripe, I realized I'd already used the shade I wanted.  No way was I going to rip back, and besides they are socks, and socks for me, so it was all good - I just used the other green shade.  I like to tell myself that they are like nearly identical twins, that have a couple of things allowing their families and close friends to tell them apart.

I am really pleased with how they turned out, and they just look like very happy socks to me.  Also, I'm pleased that I finished them before April was even over.  Now I just have to decide what socks and what yarn will be next ...

11 comments:

Kym said...

What fun, HAPPY socks! Thanks for sharing your how-to. :-)

Araignee said...

Those ARE some happy socks! I can see how they would be fun. That's why I like colorwork so much. It flies by because you just have to see how the next color will look.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They look awesome! I would not have noticed the difference in the heels if you hadn't pointed it out.

Shirley said...

Those socks are just beautiful! I would definitely call them happy. Looking at the colors on my monitor, there does not seem to be any different in the shades of red or green.

Vera said...

Great finish!!

Dee said...

Cute!

Did you get to see the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds flyover today. We say just a bit of it from over in Bristol.

AsKatKnits said...

Thank you for sharing your sock recipe! What a great idea for using up sock scraps! They are so fun!!

Nance said...

LOL'ing at your snappy rejoinder about the colour differences. (Which I doubt anyone would notice, btw. I surely didn't.)

karen said...

Beautiful socks !

Minerva said...

I love these socks! Such a wonderful way to get rid of leftovers. And the colors are great.

kathy b said...

ohhh you beat the pattern to the end of April. WIN WIN