09 September 2020

More Than Meets the Eye Here

How is your week going so far?  Mine has been uneventful for the most part, though yesterday was a day at work and let's just call it one of those days you hope to not repeat anytime soon and leave it at that.

Our Labor Day weekend was really enjoyable, full of nothing really out of the ordinary, but such nice weather you were glad to just be able to be.  Saturday I had a haircut appt, and I was actually kind of disappointed that they were ready for me right when I got there.  I had been sitting in the shade outside the salon watching the world go by, and it was quite enjoyable.  Having said that, it was even more enjoyable to get my hair cut!

Today I am happy to join Kat and the others for Unraveled Wednesday.  As usual, I've been doing a lot of reading, but my current book is especially interesting:


I had read a review of it in the New York Times Book Review a couple of months ago, and added it to my "Want to Read" list on Goodreads.  Then to be honest, since it hadn't been published yet, I forgot all about it.  Then I saw a post on Instagram (back when I could use Instagram) where someone was reading it and liked it, and lo and behold, it was available on Overdrive without having to add my name to the hold list!

I would say that if you like women's history, medical history, and World War I, that you will like this book.  (I don't mean "like" WWI in the sense that you think it must have been wonderful, of course.  I mean that you find it interesting and fascinating to read about, as I do.  I'm saying that because once I said I loved reading about WWI, and someone lectured me because "you shouldn't love war."  Sigh.)

Anyway, it's an excellent book so far.  I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

Knitting-wise, I'm still working away on the hats I'm making (I'm on #4 out of 4!), but I have also started another pair of socks, this time for The Tim:


Actually this is an old photo - I am now on the heel flap of this sock, so I've made a lot of progress, I just haven't photographed it recently.  This is just a plain vanilla sock pattern with texture stitching that I'm doing along the leg.  The yarn is the Yukon Cornelius colorway from Sweet Sparrow Yarns.  Sadly, she has stopped dyeing these Christmas colorways - I've had this in my stash for a few years - but at least I got a few when they were still available!  These will most likely be a birthday gift (November) for The Tim; if for some reason I am delayed in finishing them, I'll aim for Christmas.  

And do you like the project bag?  I LOVE it so much, and after seeing it on the Crazy Sock Lady's podcast (she was using one), decided that I would use some of my "treat me" money to get one for myself.  I got it from SewCrazyCrafter on Etsy, and oh does she have some nice things to choose from!  But I just love this - the knitting squirrel, the eyeglasses, the saying - it just makes me happy whenever I see it.  

That's the news for today's installment.  If you want to see what others are reading and making, hop over the Kat's blog (link above).  And no matter what else you do or don't do, I hope you have a good day.

14 comments:

Nance said...

That project bag is too much. I love everything about it. (But mostly the red cat-eye glasses.)

Eileen said...

I too like a good 'people watching' time, especially on gorgeous days. Love your knitting bag!

Kym said...

CUTEST project bag! :-) I'm so glad you treated yourself with it . . . because it is just perfect.

Dee said...

That bag is SO cute.

Vera said...

That bag is GREAT! LOVE the glasses. The sock is pretty (handsome??) too.

Araignee said...

I am a complete WW2 junkie when it comes to movies and books. I suppose I shouldn't love war either but I think the lessons we learn from them are pretty important. If everyone was watching the old B&W Nazi movies on TCM all the time like I do I don't think we'd be in the mess we are in now.
I spent all weekend watching old concert movies on TCM and was very sad that all the same problems Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and all were singing about are still with us now. What ever happened to that Woodstock generation?
Sorry about the rant. The Mister won't let me talk about stuff like this anymore. He's tired of hearing me.....lol.

KSD said...

Lots of good stuff here! You sound illness-free; are you?

Bonny said...

Your book recommendation and a must-have knitting bag have helped make my day a better one. Thanks!

AsKatKnits said...

Okay, brilliant sock yarn name... Yukon Cornelius is simply awesome! :)

sustainablemum said...

I love your project bag! The books sounds interesting too, although I find reading books set in wars rather harrowing to read.

Jane said...

That project bag is just darling. And thank you for the tip on the book about World War One. Since my grandfather served with the AEF during WW1, I have read quite a little about that war. Have you read "Testament of Youth" by Vera Brittian? - at least I think that is how her name is spelled. She was a nurse in WW1.

kathy b said...

That bag is adorable. You go on those hats! Doing one took me week!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the knitting bag! So cute! (And I am partial to squirrels!)

My week has been crap: Dave's grandma broke her pelvis, is in the hospital, and because COVID, we can't visit, so that's got him in a GREAT mood. (Heavy sarcasm on that great). Then there's unrelated family drama (his family, but unrelated to grandma). And if that weren't enough, there's neighbour drama here, exacerbated by a site manager who refuses to do his job. Is this week over yet? Did I win the lottery? I guess I better go check!

karen said...

super adorable bag!!