18 March 2021

The Not-So-Big Three

Hello everyone - it's been a while since I participated in Three on Thursday, but today I had the inspiration to do so.  The other day I realized that it's been a little while since I shared any progress on my knitting projects, and so that is what I'll do today.

1.  Yesterday I finished the first sock of a pair I've been knitting:


I like the way it turned out.  However, in true Bridget fashion, I failed to choose a contrasting heel/toe yarn that would have enough for *two* socks in the leftover ball I was using.  Sigh.  It doesn't really matter to me, but when I finished the toe and had about 8 inches of yarn left, I said to myself, "Well, that isn't surprising."  Self-awareness is important, you know ... 

2.  I've made a lot of progress on my Advent Throw!


I am through 19 of the 24 mini-skeins that were in my yarny Advent calendar.  This has been one of the most enjoyable things I've worked on, not just because I'm enjoying the minis, but the pattern (Habitation Throw by Helen Stewart - a Ravelry link, fyi) is so pleasant to knit!  I can see a few of these down the road, even just as stashbusters and perhaps even as gifts.  It's one of those patterns that is just interesting enough to require some attention, but not so much attention that you can't do anything else.

3.  And yesterday - though I had thought and even said I would do so sooner - I sat down and ripped out part of the sleeve on the sweater I've been knitting.


OK, this is not a "current" photo, but it's the most recent one I have, so work with me here, people.  Anyway as you may or may not recall, I had gotten onto the cuff of the first sleeve, and decided that it looked suspiciously big for me.  So I tried it on, and though the top part of the sleeve was fine, the bottom and the cuff were not - I had way too much room and knew it would bother me.  I don't' like my sleeves and cuffs tight, but I also don't like it when they are so big that my arm and wrist swim in them.  So yesterday I ripped back to just below the elbow.  I'll do some more frequent decreases and see if I can hit on the right amount for the fit and comfort that I like.  As much as I was dreading having to rip back about 1/2 of a nearly-completed sleeve, now that I have done it, I'm both happy about it and ready to try and get it right for me.  My first attempts will be today - it's rainy and raw outside, so a perfect day for some knitting!

I have noticed that in 2021, I have still been enjoying my knitting, but for whatever reason, I'm moving on all of it more slowly.  Nothing I'm working on is overly hard or complicated, and I like all of my projects.  It just seems that during February and so far in March, I'm spending more time both on other things and on nothing.  I have no deadlines, nor do I answer to anyone other than myself, but it is something that occurred to me.  

Anyway, that's the story for today.  I hope you have a good day, regardless of whatever may be happening outside wherever you are.

7 comments:

KSD said...

My knitting mojo doesn't hit until 9 or 10 at night, which is not optimal. But I get a lot done, and thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing.

Araignee said...

I have to say that your knitting may be naughty but at least it's interesting. I seem to be in a tug of war with mine all the time too and I wonder if it's just about keeping my mind busy. On days when I have too much time on my hands I seem to wrestle with it more than I think I would if I still had somewhat of a normal life going on. The blanket is lovely. I admire anyone who can take on something on that scale. My one and only took me over 10 years to finish and it took a pandemic to make that happen.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

At least your heel/toe are in a colour that won't be too hard to get something close to for the second sock (if you are so inclined... it might be fun to do something completely opposite - like black!).

My 2021 knitting has been decidedly slower and "uncomplicated". I think I've just got a lot going on elsewhere, so knitting is feeling the effects. I don't mind. I've got more than enough knit things in my closet. Simple knits for others (mostly socks) are just fine for now.

Mereknits said...

I think your knitting is fabulous, don't worry about speed just enjoy yarn moving through your hands as you create something beautiful. Stay safe.

kathy b said...

Fierce winds here today and sunshine that fools as its only in the 30s. But I admire your sweater redo. That's so hard for me to do. I get so discouraged. Then I see someone else rips back and succeeds and I hope I can follow the lead someday. And I love your socks!

Kym said...

Slow and steady wins the race. (Although knitting is not a race.) (Except maybe at the holidays.) I love all your projects -- and I think contrasting socks are cool, myself. I think the Habitation Throw might be just the ticket for me! I've just cleaned up my stash . . . and I have an awfully lot of leftovers. Hmmmmm. . . .

karen said...

I need to put the habitation throw in my queue. I love your progress and all of those colors!