29 March 2021

A Poem for a Monday

Hello all - I came across this poem this morning, and thought it was worth sharing.

Today I asked my body what she needed,
Which is a big deal
Considering my journey of
Not Really asking That Much. 

I thought she might need more water.
or protein.
or greens.
or yoga
or supplements
or movement.

But as I stood in the shower
Reflecting on her stretch marks,
Her roundness where I would like flatness,
Her softeness where I would like firmness,
All those conditioned wishes
That bundle of 
Never-Quite-Rightness,
She whispered very gently:

Could you just love me like this?

-- Hollie Holden

9 comments:

steph said...

a good positive way to start the week!

Elizabeth said...

Oh this is perfect and a much needed (at least by me) reminder of what really matters.. Thank you ever so much for sharing!!

Ellen D. said...

Thanks! That is worth sharing!

Araignee said...

That really speaks to me. All this isolation has led me to think too much about myself and I feel that old teenage angst about my appearance floating back to the surface which is not going to work on this almost 70 year old body. I need to print that out and put it on my mirror.

Karen in PA said...

Thanks, Bridget. A good thing to think about.

Vera said...

Good one Bridget!

Nance said...

Sigh. After all these years, I'm sure mine would say that. Lovely.

karen said...

perfection! I loved the poem and that you shared it!

kathy b said...

Beautiful!!