19 March 2021

Observations From a Birthday Week Vacation in the Second Year of Covid-19

As you may or may not know, I have taken this week as vacation from work.  I usually try to take time off around my birthday, because why not?  Last year, I had planned to do so, but then we were sent home for "two weeks, probably" after March 13, so I was home anyway, without any work that I could easily do, working from home.

Anyway, this year I have been working in our building on Tuesdays and Thursdays since this past August, and of course working from home (as much as I can in my job, which is a challenge), so I decided to return to my tradition, and I also decided to take the entire week as vacation.  I have the time available to me, and really - where I am going to go anywhere soon?  

Since this is the last work day of my vacation, I thought I would share some of my observations from this past week.

OK, this first part is something I've thought all of my life, but this past week has only made me a firmer believer:

1. WHY are Americans so stingy with time off?  First of all, generally most people don't get a lot of vacation time, or holidays off, and then when you actually want to try and take that time, you're looked at like someone who just ate a baby!  I know, I know - the Protestant work ethic, American productivity, blah, blah, blah.  Excuse me, but that is just a way of justifying the crappy treatment most people receive from their employers.  You ask for even a day off, and it's like the company will dissolve because you are not there - even if most of the time, your presence is either not acknowledged at all, or you are generally dismissed as unimportant.  God forbid you take time for YOURSELF - I mean, they're already being so generous, what with evenings and weekends for your interests.  And yet, in other countries, where people have been receiving much more generous amounts of time off, somehow it's all still standing in spite of that.  I know some people LOVE their work, and love to be at work, but Work Is Not Life.

2.  This week I had two meetings scheduled related to my work.  One was with the person who is our new supervisor, who also happens to be the CEO of the place.  This is until our current supervisor comes back from sabbatical, or at least that's what they are saying.  In any case, we are not allowed [seriously, not allowed] to reschedule our meetings with him (he can, we cannot).  And this one was for a "Performance Discussion," which is what our annual reviews are now called. (Puh-leeze.)

So, OK, I figured having to go to that meeting on Tuesday morning was something I could do and then go on with enjoying my time off.  WRONG.  Nope, after being told in the meeting that he could not figure out why I was still employed because he saw no reason for my position to still exist, and that I would need to amp up my goals in order to continue to have a job - well, let's just say that threw me for quite the loop!  And as you may imagine, ruined my happy mood and mental health big time.  So much so, that just yesterday afternoon, I started to talk myself out of worrying about it since I am supposed to be on vacation.  And once again - when your time off is not really time off, that's just not fair.  If we had not been doing Zoom meetings all year, I would have not been able to meet with this guy during my vacation - the meeting would not have been possible (trust me, I would have claimed to be in Lichtenstein or someplace if I had to).  But no, since we could meet, we had to meet.  I was also supposed to meet with the consultant hired at work so that she could advise me on being more of a team player.  That was supposed to be yesterday.  I sent her an e-mail saying something had come up unexpectedly and I could not possibly do it until I was back at work next week.  (Technically it was the truth - bad mental health had come up - but even so, I decided I needed the rest of my vacation to be free from work stress and so that meeting was just not gonna happen.)  Jesus Christ in a dress, is there no escape from work anymore???

3.  Moving on from the ugly stuff, in truth, I am really glad I took a week of vacation.  Even though the weather has been not that great, I have enjoyed being able to be at home and [for the most part] not have work crap hanging over my head.  I have been reading, knitting, and being lazy, even if I had other plans that didn't end up happening.  (Admittedly they might have, had I not been so depressed/upset/thrown off for a couple of days, but there you are.)  Would it have been nice to be able to go out to breakfast for my birthday?  Yes, but since I hadn't planned on it, there was no disappointment there.  And I like being at home and on my own schedule.  So although there were no particularly special plans for the week, it's been a good one.

4.  I had a *very* slight reaction from my second Covid vaccine shot.  I felt fine for the rest of the day when I got it (this past Monday), and then overnight that night I woke up with chills and a low fever.  I felt a little bit crappy when I woke up on Tuesday morning, but by lunchtime I was fine.  I'm absolutely sure that whatever the reaction is, it's still better than coming down with the virus!

5.  This morning we had an "international" kind of car trip, stopping at a few places.  First up, The Tim wanted to go to the Asian market for some things, so we stopped there first.  Then we stopped at the Italian bakery where they have ZEPPOLES every year on March 19th for St. Joseph's Day, so we'll have those for dessert tonight.  Then on the way home, we stopped at a Middle Eastern lunch place where the make the absolute best grilled falafel sandwiches ever!  We brought things home, put away what needed to go into the fridge and enjoyed our sandwiches.  It's been years since I've had one, and I am happy to say, I was not disappointed.  So we're definitely eating well today.  😀


I can promise you, we got only one for each of us.  Such a treat, and so worth it!

All of which means that the good news is, that vacation week is ending on a good note, which is how it should be.  And I'm grateful for that, since I'll have plenty of time next week for other feelings and frustrations.

Here's hoping that your week was a good one, or that if not, it's ending on a good note like mine is.  Have a good weekend, and remember to try your best to enjoy whatever you can, whenever you can!

14 comments:

Alison said...

Hate to be a bragger, but here in NZ we get 4 weeks annual leave (I get 5 due to long service) 12 paid public holidays and 10 days sick leave which can accrue to 20 days. Pretty good really, but there are so many people who abuse the sick leave privilege - one colleague is so often sick on a Monday.

Hope the rest of your vacation is relaxation and happiness.

Araignee said...

I am so sorry to hear about your work troubles. That is exactly why I retired at 55. I wasn't even allowed to knit during my own 20 minute lunch break because I was told if I had free hands I should be answering emails while I ate. People are nuts.
I agree that the small side effects we are all having is a small price to pay. I feel better today but still get tired easily. It took my sister 3 months to get over Covid and she's still not 100%.
Those zeppoles are killing me. I haven't felt like eating much since my jab but I'd sure go for one of those.

Dee said...

Glad you could end your vacation week on an up note.

I had my very first zeppole EVER today. I got the cream filled one from Termini's in Reading Terminal Market. Steve got the one with cannoli filling.
I can't say it was a favorite of mine. It was okay. I like some of their other things better.

But on St. Joseph's Day, you must try the zeppole.

Nance said...

How I wish you could retire. I wish that so much for all of my friends and family. Work is getting to be so awful and so unrewarding for so many people. No matter what you do, it's never, ever enough.

I'm so glad you had a good vacation week overall and got vaxxed and got good food. Those are bright spots for sure, and along with your birthday, well worth celebrating.

XO

Ellen D. said...

They should not have made you meet during your vacation. That is just wrong and I cannot imagine why your meeting could not have occurred next week after your vacation.
I am sorry he was so discouraging to you. I hope you can figure out what to do to keep your job if you want to or to find a better place to work.
Glad you were able to bounce back and not let work ruin your vacation!

Vera said...

Sorry your work situation sucks. I'm very luck about where I work and with whom. I can truly say I love my job. I can also truly say I have never had a Zeppole!

Kim in Oregon said...

Glad you made some lemonaid out of a few lemons (or maybe one big lemon).

Mereknits said...

Oh Bridget, what a week full of ups and big downs. Your supervisor sounds like a real ass, and I mean that a real ass. How rude and especially with a dedicated employee who has worked there a long time. I am glad you were able to read and knit and eat something yummy. Good luck next week my friend.

Caffeine Girl said...

OMG! Your post encapsulates so much about what's wrong with work in America. The best three reasons to be a teacher are: June, July & August. Having these built-in breaks (X-mas & Easter, too) is a blessing. But when I was a newspaper reporter, taking time off was close to impossible. I remember bringing my sick daughter to the newsroom and having her sleep under my desk all day.

This whole thing with annual reviews -- or whatever you want to call them -- is just a nightmare. In my school district, we have to do a year-long review every single year! With data (which I just make up --shhh). And the principals have to waste time looking at this crap every year. It is a total waste of taxpayer money.

As for your boss's comments -OMG!!! I would totally freak out if a boss told me that. It's not like we are working for the sheer joy of it. That would completely wreck my mental health.

Heck, I've been a wreck over going back into a high school. Yesterday my principal told me that I can work from home in the afternoons (students only come in the mornings), so my anxiety is a little lower.

Our "brilliant" school board is going to take away our seniority benefits. The state destroyed our unions in 2011, and now they are going to snatch away the last crumb. It's a good thing I filed for retirement in June because I could not survive that level of insecurity! Although, being a competent special ed teacher would probably protect me.

At any rate, I feel your pain!

kathy b said...

I am glad that you are getting past this unfortunate work situation. Ugh. I will look into that book for my daughter!

kathy b said...

oops I thought WORK IS NOT LIFE was a book. Darn

WendyKnits said...

I too feel your pain on the work situation. Since I have been teleworking full time for over a year now, there has been an unfortunate shift for some of us (who are considered essential to our agency's mission) to be on call constantly. I have been called on nights and weekends to do things that could easily have waited until the next day. The worst, by far, was last month on the day my father died. He died at 7:00am and I worked until noon because of one of these "essential" tasks. I clocked out at noon and got called back to work an hour later.

Kym said...

Oh, Bridget. I'm so glad you were able to bring some joy back into your vacation week. But, oh . . . that is all so not fair or just or right. (I really do hate people sometimes.) I'll be sending you ALL the good juju as you head back to work this week. And you know what? I have never heard of either St. Joseph's Day OR zeppoles! (Clearly I've been missing out.)

karen said...

glad your reaction was mild and you bounced back quickly! and now in two weeks you are golden!!