30 April 2021

On the Last Day of April, Let's Discuss Humor

The other day, I posted a few cartoons, because I for one needed a little pick-me-up, and suspected that others might enjoy them as well.  It would seem that a lot of you did, based on the comments you left.

But one person left a comment which I deleted (because it's my blog and I can do that), and it said, "Why are you always posting comics, and trying to be funny?  Don't you know that the world is awful, and people are dying?  Do you think THAT'S funny?"

When I first read this comment, I thought that maybe the person had been having a bad time for one reason or another, and felt bad for them.  But then I re-read it, and realized that there was no real questioning or kindness there, just someone being outright mean.  Which is why I deleted the comment.

Which leads me to the topic of humor.  I am someone who is drawn to humorous things, and when I meet someone with a sense of humor, they rise in my estimation quite a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't appreciate humor that belittles or berates people (admittedly, with the exception of the former occupant of the White House and/or his ilk), or that is done simply to hurt someone's feelings.  I am not drawn to the kind of humor that used to be so popular, aka "My wife is so dumb that ___" or "My mother-in-law _____," though I am not saying that there were not some funny jokes there.  Whenever something is fun for both parties, I'm usually OK with it.

I will also admit to liking a lot of dark humor, and have always had a tendency to find some inappropriate things *very* funny.  

However, I do know people who very truly have no sense of humor.  And they make me suspicious.  In my experience, these people fall into two categories: 1) they are not very interested in the world around them, and/or 2) they take every single thing so seriously that there is just no room to be amused.  In the case of the commenter mentioned above, I suspect they fall into the second category.

And so to them, I will say this:  Trust me, I am well aware of the world around me.  I have experienced immense personal tragedy in my life, and even now, every day is not sunshine, flowers, and unicorn glitter.  I try very hard to do what I can to improve not just my own life, but the world around me.  I don't spend a lot of time talking about either the good or the bad, because for the most part, I consider it very personal.

But I was raised to find the humor in life.  And I think it's what has kept me going, and sometimes I know for a fact it has saved me from sinking into the depths of feelings.  Life is fragile, nothing is guaranteed.  Yes, we need to pay attention, and to help others, and be good citizens of the world.  But we also need to keep going the best way we can.  And if I can do that by getting a laugh myself, or making others have the chance to take a minute and laugh, then I'm doing it.  Frankly, if you don't like it, don't read my blog.  It's as easy as that.

So that is my missive for the final day of April, a day that is so windy here in Philadelphia, that I told the cats it's a good thing they are indoor kitties, because otherwise they would be "blown to Bulgaria."  (I have no idea why I say that, other than I like the alliteration.)  But it's lovely and sunny otherwise, and it's Friday, so it's all good.  

And just because:


I hope you have a lovely day, and that this first weekend of May gives you a reason to smile.  May it treat you well and may you have no egrets ... 😉 

15 comments:

Michelle B. said...

Sometimes humor is the only thing that can get us through the day. Within your parameters there is no harm so doesn't that help make the world a little better? I too enjoy humor, especially if it's dark or inappropriate and most of my causal acquaintances would never expect it.

And, let me tell you a way I bet you never realized your comics help people. A few years ago I had a co-worker who received a terrible cancer diagnosis. He would need to travel to a hospital 4 hours from his home and family for surgery and return at least monthly for ongoing treatment. The surgery alone meant he needed to spend more than a month in the hospital. HE could no longer perform his work duties and needed to find a new career. At the time we were casual friends, friendly because we saw each other occasionally at work. I went out of my comfort zone and started sending him corny jokes via text just to try to bring a bright moment to his days. Go forward 4 years to 2021 and he's still traveling for treatment and we still send jokes to each other, often dark, inappropriate or cheesy but always funny. So I am always on the lookout for new material and your jokes often fit the bill. In fact I forwarded the one about trading your kids for a cat yesterday as he was waiting for a follow-up scan. I have a good friend now. Right after I finish this, he'll get the egrets one because that's hilarious! So, thanks for the friend and laughs!

kayT said...

Michelle, thanks for posting this comment. I hope the person who posted the unhappy thing reads about your friend and maybe realizes that passing on humor can be a kind, loving, life-affirming thing to do. As well as just plain funny. I have no egrets!

Ellen D. said...

We have always used humor in my family - especially during sad times - to lift our spirits and keep us going.
Your humor is just right! Thank you!

Dee said...

It seems there is always one.

I once posted a photo of Giroux similar to the one on my blog today. I got 69 really sweet comments and one -------------THAT'S DISGUSTING!

I guess some people never learned if you can't say something nice, just shut the hell up.

Bonny said...

I think humor is a necessary part of life, especially in the past year or so. It's also possible to be appalled at all the awful things and people dying in the world and simultaneously find something quite funny. Like egrets! Also, thanks to Michelle for sharing the story about how your comics have an even further reach than you might have expected. Bravo to both of you!

Araignee said...

I love when people post funny things because I never seem to be able to find any myself. I don't know where you get them. I get mean comments from time to time too and delete them. I got a real hum dinger right before I got my second dose that said that they hoped I died from it like all the rest of us boomers. Goodness. How full of hate do you have to be to leave something like that on a total strangers blog?

sprite said...

I mean, if one met a stranger and they said, my mother just died of COVID, and one's response was a series of dad jokes, it might be inappropriate (I mean unless that's how they also dealt with tragedy). But short of that level of interaction, I don't see why you wouldn't want some jokes to take the edge off a prolonged stressful time.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

1) I laughed a little too hard at that cartoon.

2) What is life without humour? I feel sorry for people without a sense of humour.

3) Like you, my sense of humour is what would be considered dark/inappropriate.

4) A friend shared this on Facebook today. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqInns6LXQ

Alison said...

I just love your sense of humour. As I wipe my eyes from laughing I think “.where does she get this stuff, it's often people under pseudonyms that say the nasty things, Sad sacks.

Our son lives on the other side of the world but every morning he takes a few minutes to see me a cartoon to start my day. I love it.

Thanks for brightening our days.

Anonymous said...

Humour is the best medicine
Cheryl
Aka seajaes on Ravelry

Nance said...

Of course there will always be terrible things going on in the world that make humour seem trivial and, to some, shockingly inappropriate. If we wait for the world to be trouble-free, we'll all be waiting forever.

Better to take our bright spots where we can find them and appreciate them when we see them. I always see humour a bit like finding money in the dryer--a nice surprise, fun, and welcome.

You find the best stuff. I love it.

KSD said...

People. What is their deal?

Meredith MC said...

I’m with you on being suspicious of the humorless. My question is how do they get through life. So much that surrounds us is ridiculous in the extreme. Thank you for your comics- you have a great sense of humor, but maybe I’m just saying that because it’s like mine.

Kym said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry someone felt fit to leave that comment on your blog, and I'm really happy you chose to delete it. Because who needs THAT? Anyway. There is always room for humor. Always. One of the things that makes us human . . . is our ability to hold opposing thoughts, feelings, emotions. We can feel joy AND grief. We can feel hope AND despair. We can feel bad AND laugh. There is room for all the feels, and I'm so glad you share things that can make us smile and laugh and appreciate-the-clever . . . even while shitty things are happening around us. (And there will always be shitty things happening around us.) Thanks, Bridget, for the smiles. And for sharing your thoughts and perspective. XO

karen said...

humor makes the world go round and it's the magic ingredient for a well lived life.