23 April 2021

What Is the Best About You?

The world, as they say, has been too much with us lately.  And everyone has an opinion on Every. Single. Thing.  I have LOTS of opinions, and I try really hard unless I am specifically asked to keep them to myself, and for the most part, I can accomplish this.  

But I have decided to share on occasion - maybe once a month on a Friday? - something that I think is the best about me.  I'm doing this to remind myself, and all of us, that no matter what other people think or say, there are always things about ourselves to celebrate.  I am hoping that you will join me in doing this, because too often we talk about our shortcomings or failures, and though it's important to acknowledge those, the good things deserve equal or better time, don't you think?

This exercise can be about anything.  Small, huge, wonderful, or incidental, important only to me/us.  I'm not doing this to receive anyone else's affirmations or compliments - I'm doing it to share, to get YOU to think about what you would say.

So to start off today, I'm going to share the first installment of:

What Is the Best About You?
(and sorry I don't have a graphic, I'm not good at that kind of thing!)

I think the best about me is that I love picky little details, all of the time.  Though I may drive myself insane when I am doing something, wanting to be sure that I have everything the way I think it should be, I also have to admit that I truly love doing it.  In the particular work I do, details are incredibly important, and that is why I chose that branch of librarianship (cataloging and serials work) instead of the jobs that everyone knows that librarians do.  

But even in my personal life, details make me happy.  I love to not just provide detail where necessary, but learning details - the more arcane the better - make my heart sing!  Particularly when it comes to words or language, sign me up!  I remember that a few years ago, I learned that a group of flamingos is called a Flamboyance, and I spent days passing along that detail to everyone I knew - just short of stopping strangers on the street to tell them!  On Twitter, one of my favorite accounts that I follow is called Haggard Hawks - I drive The Tim crazy with information they provide.  One of the editors of the account has put a book together, and I can't wait to get my hands on that!

I will admit that if you are like me, you also need to check yourself now and then.  Details of any kind can become your overlords if you let them.  I need to regularly remind myself that I don't need to know everything about everything and that there are other things in the world to enjoy besides getting details right, knowing all the words that have ever existed, etc.  I get better at doing that all of the time (one would hope, since I've been like this my whole life!)

But ask me for a detail, or provide me with a detail and we are sympatico. 😊

AND NOW - what about you?  What can you tell us is the best about you?  Feel free to share in the comments, or write your own blog post.  Let's start sharing the things we really like about ourselves!

9 comments:

Dee said...

I am very organized.

This actually took some thinking. I first picked I am nice to people and mostly I am, except when I'm not. I'm quiet. Well, except when I'm not. I'm tidy .......well, you see where this is going.

My second choice would have been I'm good with the natural world. I'm good with animals (big like cows and small like cats and everything in between). I can grow things. But .......I think what I like best is that I'm a pretty organized person. I keep my appointments, my house is tidy, I know where things are and I put them back. LOL So, organized it is.

Nance said...

I like this topic. Sometimes, we forget how to champion ourselves.

One of the things that is Best About Me is my sense for organization. It was a survival skill born from my teaching career, but it carried over into my Mom and general home life as well. I'm not That Crazy Lady With A Labelmaker, but I have a few rules for myself that make my life easier:
1. When you pick up something, act on it immediately.
2. If it takes less than a minute, just do it now.
3. Put things back where they belong.

Those rules and a file cabinet have streamlined my life.

kathy b said...

Thank you for posting this! !!!!! I don't have to know the details of every thing ! Really! I need to remember that thought. What is the best about me? Well, a good thing I can think of ,is that I am able to see situational stress and not jump to the conclusion that I'm depressed . That is really huge for me.
Another, good thing: I love care for our woods and our gardens. I am really into watering and we have a well so I can water away.
Also one more thing, I've become a very good listener. I was a a very long talker for years. until i learned so much more and helped so much more by listening. I think that is one reason we are here for one another TO be listened to , heard and reassured we are all loved

Kim in Oregon said...

This is hard, because I'm so self-critical, but I think the best thing about me is that I love animals and would do just about anything for them.

Araignee said...

I am also a detail person. I want to know everything about everything anymore. In fact, I can't even sit and watch a movie without Googling the entire time looking for information on whatever it's about. Ask me about Florence Foster Jenkins. I watched that movie last night and now I could write a dissertation on not only her life but all the supporting characters in it. I even had to go listen to her actual recordings. Gracious. What a voice.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Funnily enough, I think my best quality is that I'm able to let the details slide!
Even though I actually work at a very detail oriented job (50% of it is editing documents) in the rest of my life, I am much more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of person.
Now don't get me wrong - there are absolutely times when details matter and you have to pay attention to them, but I like having a bit of a devil-may-care attitude whenever I can!

Ellen D. said...

I would say that the best thing about me is my sense of humor. I can be funny and I am also pretty friendly so those go together well.
Of course, I cannot think of anything funny to say right now so you will have to take my word for it! :)

KSD said...

I'm good in a crisis. (Ignore the fact that once the crisis has passed, I may collapse and/or have a days-long headache.) I can stay calm, and get people around me to be calm.

Meredith MC said...

This is a great exercise. I’m a middle school language arts teacher, and I really love that I have figured out to ask students questions when they are avoiding or unsure to help them engage. It works a million times better than everything else I did before I learned this. Thanks for asking, and have an awesome weekend.