17 June 2021

In Which I Wonder ...

Hello sports fans!  (Well, unless you are a 76ers fan, and wondering WTF they are doing, building up huge leads in playoff games and then blowing them in the 4th quarter.  Honestly, just lose from the get-go if you're gonna keep doing that.)

Anyway, I digress.  My mother used to greet us in the mornings with that phrase sometimes, and it always amused me because I was the only one who cared at all about any sports ever, and my sisters would just give her dirty looks.  Apparently when she would say that around her friends, they would lecture her about how not *everyone* liked sports, how they were dangerous, etc., which frankly amused her and amused me when she would tell about it.

Another digression.  Whoops.

Moving right along, I have decided to do a post for Three on Thursday, just because I feel like it, not because I have anything important to share.  Some days you just feel like posting, you know?  So I decided to talk about Three Things That I Wonder About.

1. One of the blogs I regularly read is one written by a woman who writes about health and beauty for women over 50. She is a good writer, and a lot of her posts are both informative and amusing. But every once in a while, she really bugs me. So much of what she writes is ranting about how companies and society at large try to tell older women what they should/should not wear, how they should act, what they should do - you get the gist. Then she will write a post where SHE says older women should so, act, say, etc. and it just kills me!  For instance, her daughter got married a while back, and she had all of these posts about trying to find a dress for the wedding.  She wanted a short dress, rather than a long one, and one that was also "modern-looking."  Fine.  So she had all of these posts about Mother-of-the-Bride dresses and how horrible they were, and how you shouldn't wear them, the colors were awful, etc.  She ended up with a very short black V-necked sleeveless dress that made her happy.  Which is what is important.  But she kept showing the other things and making really disparaging remarks about not just the designs, but anyone who would even consider wearing them.  Yes, I found some of them awful, but thought some of them were just fine.  What do I know, I don't have any kids, so will never be in that situation, but my point it that she was doing what she always accuses "the industry" of doing and it bugged me.  

Because of course I am perfect, and so others' imperfections just cannot be tolerated. 😒

Anyway, she wrote another post doing the same thing yesterday and I think I have to stop reading her blog.

2.  On my way to work this morning, I passed a woman who was walking a really cute young doggy.  I asked if I could pet the dog (this is why my walks take longer than they should), and she said yes.  It was a really sweet pup, and when I was walking away, I said, "Thanks for letting me pet him, he is really adorable." And she said, "Thank you!  He's adopted," and kept walking.

And I wondered, did she think I thought she was the one who had birthed him?  Of course he's adopted!

3.  Why is it that when you are knitting something, and you get to the EASIEST part of a pattern, and you started out with the correct number of stitches, that somehow or another after four rounds, you end up with 16 extra stitches??  I'm working on a pair of socks, and I've gotten to the stockinette portion, and though I am not completely zoning out, I am somehow regularly ending up with 10-16 (16 last night - WTF?!) extra stitches.  Now I know the answer is that clearly I'm not paying enough attention, but this is the first time this has happened to me for a really long time - I mean, when I first learned to knit anything, I was always adding stitches unintentionally, but it hasn't happened while knitting socks for years.  Sigh.  

This is why we can't have nice things. 

You just have to wonder ... 

8 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Thing 2 had me chuckling! And Thing Three vexes me, too.

Martha said...

The second one really cracked me up. I suppose she meant he was a rescue but who knows, especially these days!

KSD said...

"Adopted, you say? I was about to comment on how much he looks like you."

Araignee said...

I bet the adoption woman walked away thinking how stupid she sounded. I say dumb things like that all the time when I am trying to make small talk with strangers.
About those extra stitches....been there, done that but usually my stitches disappear. I hate counting to see if I hit the mark because I never do. I just had to correct a stitch count that was off by one which I consider a victory because usually it is much, much worse.

Dee said...

#2 made me almost fall off my chair.

Well, *maybe* she meant not PURCHASED, but still.

BTW --- KSD's comment takes the internet today. ROFL

kathy b said...

oh adopted!!!!! ha ha hah a.
I am working the simplest feather and fan and I keep messing up the numbers. I'm LAZY with it. The other things I have knitted lately required some focus. I guess I get into trouble when I get really laze and over confident! Oh well.

karen said...

I never pass up an opportunity to pet a dog, adopted or naturally occurring :)

Nance said...

That poor woman in #2! She's probably still berating herself for her comment, wondering what happened to her brain as she was searching for the word "rescued" or "fostered". Bless her heart.

I ponder the Extra Stitches Phenomenon all too often. It's embarrassing.