21 June 2021

So Many Things

There is just too much going on in my brain and in my life these days.  Sadly, it's not really wonderful, fun stuff - rather it's related to work and finances, mostly.  I feel like I'm keeping my head above water, but I can see a LOT of big waves headed my way, and can only hope I'll resurface once those hit.  Ugh.

The good news is that I do have things that can help distract me.  The bad news is that even when I am completely distracted by those things, the others are always just sitting there waiting, full of self-satisfied knowledge that I have no choice but to know they are there.  It's exhausting.

Over the weekend, I was able to spend time on those distracting things - I finished a book I've been reading, worked on a sock, and worked on my summer top.  Though I have to tink back two rows on the summer top - which now has lots of stitches - because I am at a knit 1, purl 1 rib section and last night I noticed that two rows back, I did two knit stitches in a row.  And especially since it's on the front of the piece, I know it will bug me if I don't fix it.  At least it's only k1, p1, and not something more involved or complicated.  I fear at this point, that would just cause me to put it away indefinitely, or even just tear it all out and start over someday.  

Have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of 1 x 1 rib?  I feel like I can never get into a rhythm with it, and so it ends up taking more brain space than I think it should.

Anyway.  I did treat myself to something fun recently:


Apparently, on a recent Fox News broadcast, Tucker Carlson (ick) made some comment about Kamala Harris visiting a yarn store or something related to that (I don't watch it, so I don't know the exact story), and referred to our Madame Vice-President as the "Crochet Czar."  Well, Neighborhood Fiber Co. and Nerd Bird Makery decided to do something about that, while also helping people.  So they created this enamel pin, and the proceeds went to help support Covid relief efforts in India.  I love it when people can take something that was said that was supposed to be mocking, and turn it into something positive and completely against what the original intent was!

Not much else to report right now.  Our weekend was pretty quiet, the kind where you get a little bit of stuff done, and make some progress, but none of it is on major projects or is something anyone else can see.  But it felt good to accomplish something anyway, and WE know what was done!

Our little family of mourning doves moved out about a week ago, on to their bird lives outside of their nest in our window.  I can only hope they all go one to live long lives, though life is tough for mourning doves.  We miss them so much!  I just loved opening the blinds every morning and having Deirdre and the babies there, and occasionally Dad - who The Tim named Jacques Derrida.  They were all so sweet to see, and so curious to look in the window.  I pointed out to The Tim that we were truly experiencing Empty Nest Syndrome ...

We are currently "in the market" so to speak for a new kitty family member.  Dee and I have discussed this, because we think *any* homeless kitty is one who needs us.  But The Tim has decreed long ago that we can only adopt animals who truly NEED us, and by that he means they have something going on that would make it less likely they would be adopted otherwise.  Balancing with that the fact that a lot of special needs kitties are not ones we could really help - i.e., if they need medication or treatment regularly, we are not always home and cannot likely afford it right now - or our house is not perfect for them, it's been a challenge.  But I have faith that one way or another the right kitty will show up, and often rules made by The Tim are also thrown out the window by him.

Case in point:  After Dug the Doodle Dog died a few years back, when we decided it was time to think about getting another dog, The Tim said he would prefer if we got a smaller dog, and one that might not shed as much.  And as you know, we ended up with Hamlet, an 80-pound Golden Retriever who sheds as his primary hobby!  😍

Anyway, that's it for now.  I hope your week goes well, and that wherever you happen to be, the weather is not causing massive problems for you and/or for you community.  Take care.

9 comments:

Nance said...

I share your disdain for 1x1 ribbing. It feel frenetic to me. If I could always do it on, say, 6" needles, that would be great. LOL.

Rick and I have definitely decided that Piper and Marlowe (age 11) are our last cats forever. Yesterday, I saw a litter of kittens from a distance playing on a balcony, frisking and pouncing. They were adorable. Rick shot me a very, very concerned glance. I am firm, however; my goal is to one day never own a lint roller again.

Dee said...

Hope that new kitty finds you soon.

Araignee said...

Good luck on your kitty hunt. I never have to look for needy ones, they seem to find me. The last three that showed up were a disaster, health wise. It's always the males that show up like that. All of our females arrived in perfect health even the pregnant one. Go figure.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You pretty much summed up how I feel right now. When we bought our house, we were promised a large sum of money by a close family member to help out with renovations. It's why we bought the house we did. Now this family member has backtracked, and left us in a very sticky spot. We can do a few things (basically the rooms we are reno-ing right now), but it's going to tap us out for a while. I just feel like I'm facing a tsunami of expenses coming at me. It's not a matter of if it hits, but when.
I just keep trying to tell myself, we'll manage - even if it means a lot of peanut butter and box mac n' cheese in our future.
I hope everything works out for you too.

I also feel you on the pet adoption. I adopted dear Tux because a) he was an AWESOME cat, but also because he had aggression issues that made him hard to adopt out. We dealt with those no problem, but not long after the adoption, he started having medical problems - first urine crystals (the rescue warned me he'd had issues with them in the past), then the diabetes, then finally the cancer that took him in the end. It took a toll on my bank account, but he really was the best cat, and I wouldn't have given him up for the world.

I always say the right cat finds you. Even if you are actively looking for something specific... you'll come across the one that was meant to be.

Kim in Oregon said...

Sorry that life has been a bit in turmoil. I hope things even out soon.

We adopted a special needs kitty and we're happy we had the time and space to do so, but it is certainly not for everyone.

KSD said...

You might not believe this, but I promise, promise it happened.

I have a set of string lights around the mantel, and it was giving me no end of problems yesterday. It finally just went off, I figured the batteries had died, I moved on.

Just now, just as I read the words "We are currently in the market. . .," the strand lit back up. As in, great idea! So, some Force Somewhere approves of your decision.

Mereknits said...

Life can be so hard sometimes, it really isn't right. I suppose it would be nice to never have a worry and all the time in the world to knit but frankly I am not made that way. I worry, run around like crazy, worry, work really hard long hours, worry, I don't sleep well, worry and maybe get time to knit. wishing you less worry and more time to knit and also a lovely little fur friend who needs you.

kathy b said...

Lil Miss Pie with her cataracts since birth hardly knows her disability . She certainly rules the roost and the 3 boy cats.
We have decided that we can try to stick to females as we have all had males with health problems. Primarily the UTI and short urethra issues common in males. When Zach got Bo, he thought he was getting a boy. Ha! She's a girl.
I love when people are READY for a new fur baby in their lives. It will be fun to see how this adoption evolves. !

Helen said...

We got our 'pup' from the pound. She had been found in a field and lack of nutrition her front feet/legs weren't straight. Fortunately a good diet helped that out. She is still on 'joint' diet and doing well. :) We also adopted a cat at the same time.