02 June 2021

Just the Best

Well, our trip to West Virginia for Memorial Day weekend is now past, but with some wonderful memories.  Yes, it did feel really weird to be traveling somewhere, but I was encouraged by how people seemed to be wearing masks nearly everywhere, and being careful overall.  Even at the rest stops on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, things felt OK.  That was a huge relief to me, because as much as I was looking forward to the trip, I had some anxiety as well.

We left bright and early on Friday morning.  Our GBS (Good Boy System) was ready to go!


Until he figured we were in the car for a while, it was necessary to pay attention:


But then he was able to nap and therefore be prepared for a weekend when every person around him was busy paying attention to him - that can be exhausting, and you have to rest up, you know.


I took my knitting with me.  Here it is on the table at my sister's house - actually, it's not just *any* table, it is what all of us call the Game of Thrones Table! 😄

Our drive was pretty uneventful - not much traffic, and the sun came in and out throughout the day.  About an hour from my sister's house, it really poured rain, but fortunately, by the time we were unpacking the car, it was only drizzle.  

I seriously could not believe I was getting to see my sister again!  And then my brother-in-law got home from work, and it was hug-kiss-cry all over.  We had them to ourselves for a couple of hours before Amanda and Pat arrived, so that was especially nice.  

The entire weekend - until we were leaving on Monday, of course - it was really quite cold (40s Fahrenheit overnight, 50s-60s during the day), and either somewhat rainy or just overcast.  The only down side to that for our group was that it was just too cold to sit on the porch, which all of us love to do.  Hamlet kept walking to the door as if to say, "Now?" and one time I let him out so he could sit there, but he didn't want to miss anything happening inside.  We still barbecued on Sunday afternoon, which actually was fine because it was the best day weather-wise of the weekend, so we got to start the summer outdoor cooking season after all.

One night The Tim and I treated everyone to dinner at a Mexican place that was relatively new in town.  The food was wonderful, and again, it was weird to be in a restaurant.  But also again, a place where they were paying attention to things, so it was a fun evening.  


Amanda and Pat - I talk about them a lot, but don't know if I've ever shown a photo of the two of them.  So here you go, from the Mexican restaurant.

When we were getting ready to leave and go home, Amanda said she would meet us at the car, because she had to make a quick stop.  We all assumed she was stopping at an ATM or something, but no, she stopped at Five Guys Burgers to get a hamburger - for Hamlet!


Needless to say, when Hamlet saw that Pat had something for him, and then it turned out to be a WHOLE HAMBURGER, his trip started to look better than ever!

Sunday morning, we headed to Perkins for pancakes, etc., because all of us need lives because even though we can make pancakes and such at home, going to Perkins is a treat for everyone.  Here is the group, masked:


And then, once the food arrived, the masks were off!


(P.S. The Tim is in this photo, and showed up when I edited it.  I have no idea why he is cropped out above, but rest assured, I have gotten grief about it!)

So we had a lot of fun, laughing, eating, drinking, watching TV, and playing ridiculous games.  Some of the group made sure to get their workouts in, and Mary Ellen (my sister), Amanda, and I had many very important discussions over tea and wine.  

Hamlet pretty much got non-stop attention and so much more to eat throughout the day than he ever gets from us!  And as The Tim said, some of it was MEAT - he was probably thinking "Thank God, *these* people know how to eat!"

The trip home was again uneventful, with pockets of traffic and lots of sunshine - you know, because we were travelling, not wanting to sit on the porch or anything like that ...

A wonderful surprise when we got home was seeing how big the baby mourning doves are!  They look like baby birds now, instead of cute baby alien beings.

 

I'm so glad we were able go on our trip and see at least some of the family.  It was nice to travel a bit, nice to have a change of scenery, but really nice to just hug and kiss everyone.  We had so many laughs and it was so relaxing that you were almost able to forget that anything like a pandemic was still happening.

I hope we will all remain safe and healthy after our trip.  Everyone made an effort, and all of us have been vaccinated.  I just wish people would not find reasons not to get the vaccine, so that all of us could just enjoy being. 

Oh - and for those wondering - Hamlet has been sleeping almost non-stop since we got home.  When you are that popular with people, travel is fun, but terribly exhausting! 😉

12 comments:

Nance said...

Oh, hooray! I'm glad you had a reunion with your family and that, despite the uncooperative weather in general, you spent joyful time with people that you love best.

In Ohio the vax rate is stuck at 39%, which is incredibly disheartening. All health mandates are lifted today, and I'm so angry at people's selfishness and ignorance.

But again, the happiness of this post is terrific. I know it will go far in carrying you through the month.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fabulous weekend.
My family is meeting up in San Diego at the end of June. It will be weird to fly, but I'm sure it will be worth it. It would feel better if everyone would get vaccinated!

Ellen D. said...

That sounds like a great time was had by all! I think we appreciate it even more after so long a wait!

KSD said...

So, so happy for you all. And glad you're home safe.

Vera said...

Sounds like such a great weekend Bridget! Glad you could go. And the weather here pretty much sucked all weekend (until Monday). It did not get out of the 40's Saturday or Sunday!!

Dee said...

That sounds like a WONDERFUL weekend.

We have Stephen home this week. So, you KNOW we are enjoying our week.

Araignee said...

How wonderful for you! It is scary going out for the first time but it is good to see so many still being careful. I am happy to hear you were comfortable at the rest stops as that's what is still keeping me close to home. I haven't used a public rest room in over a year and it's the one hurdle I need to get over.
I am glad to see Hamlet enjoyed his trip and his burger. We used to treat Pup with nuggets when we went on long rides and now we can't pass a McDonald's without her throwing a fit.

Kym said...

What a GREAT weekend, Bridget! I'm so happy for you and your family. It's wonderful to get together and do things that are so "normal" again . . . after so long. I hope Hamlet is well rested by now. I'm just tickled that he got his own burger. :-) (We sometimes stop at a McDonald's drive-thru on our way up north to get burgers for the dogs as a special treat. They love it so.) XO

andrea said...

a burger for Hamlet! wow what a treat!

glad you had such a lovely trip!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh Hamlet! There's only so much attention one good boy can handle!
Glad you had a wonderful weekend!

Mereknits said...

It looks like Hamlet had the time of his life and so did you. So glad you were able to spend precious time with your family and stay safe.

karen said...

I am so glad you had a good time, it's been too long~ I love your knitting bag.