14 June 2022

A Post of YUM!

You may recall that last week I took a sick day for my mental health.  And in the post where I mentioned that, I said I was going to try a recipe that was new to me.  I'm here to tell you that a) I did just that, and b) it was a huge success!

The recipe is for Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake, and I can vouch that it is a winner.  It's easy to put together, and uses ingredients that are - at least in our house - already on hand.  Bonus, the house smells wonderful while it's baking!

Here's how mine turned out:


The only thing I did that was different than the recipe was baking it longer, because I used a ceramic loaf pan.  The recipe calls for baking 60-65 minutes, and I baked this for an hour and half.  So just be aware that the pan you use might change the baking time.

We ate it for dessert most evenings with a cup of tea, but it's one of those things that really would work any time of day.  Let me know if you give it a try!

*****

We had a good weekend, nothing really but staying home and getting things done in spurts.  I was proud of myself, because before I could think of an excuse to put it off, I went out first thing after breakfast on Saturday morning to clean up the garden.  I pulled a lot of weeds, swept, and though it didn't look as nice as when the tree people used their leaf blower to clean up, it was a decent second place effort. 😊  Even better, I only had a few minor aches and pains afterwards, instead of feeling like I would never again be able to move normally.  

And in knitting activity, I know that Saturday was Worldwide Knit In Public Day, but after my efforts in the garden I ran out of the energy to go anyplace and knit.  Plus, it was rainy off and on, so that was my Justification Part 2 ...

I have been knitting away on my cardigan project, and when I grabbed my project bag, I noticed I was nearly at the end of the last skein of yarn I'd wound when I started.  Combined with the fact that the knitting was getting too big to comfortably have on my lap during hot weather, I decided that I would knit until the skein was finished, and then tuck the project away to finish after Labor Day.  Even if I finished it tomorrow, I wouldn't be wearing it anytime soon!

As it turned out, the end of the wound skein took me to the place at the bottom of the body of the sweater where you start the bottom ribbing.  So when I pick it up again, I'll have the bottom ribbing, the sleeves, and the neckline/button band to finish, and I know that will motivate me to keep going.


While I was working on it, I watched a knitting podcast where the person had filmed outdoors, so I decided to count that for my knitting in public.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So things are now packed away safely and I've marked my calendar for the week after Labor Day with a reminder for myself to resume knitting.  

I didn't get to sort out what I wanted to start next, but I have a few things in mind.  Once I check my stash, I'll be able to decide what projects are next.  

Sometimes I think that's as exciting as actually starting something!

6 comments:

Nance said...

Anything with chocolate chips is a winner with me.

Love the colour of your cardigan. It's very pretty and should be perfect for you.

Dee said...

That loaf is definitely going into my try soon pile. I have all the ingredients. Thanks for posting that. (Maybe it will keep us out of the all-too-dangerous bakery aisle at Giant.)

I didn't do KIP day either. I didn't feel like making the long drive to any of the shops and possibly being rained out.

Araignee said...

I forgot about knit in public day too and I also knit along with a podcast of someone knitting in Finland so I'm counting that also.
That tea loaf looks so AMAZING. I love a good piece of cake and a cup of tea in the afternoon.

Kim in Oregon said...

I can't wait to try that, although I'm going to call it 'chocolate chip breakfast bread' b/c I always make a breakfast bread for weekend mornings and I always throw in chocolate chips no matter what!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Now I want to go bake chocolate chip cookies...

Kym said...

I really do love thinking about my "next knit" almost as much as starting my "next knit!" Your sweater looks lovely . . . and your plan for starting it up again once it cools down is a good one. Think how quickly you'll be able to finish that up, and how motivated you will be once the weather cools down! :-)