16 June 2022

Three Rainy Thursday Things

Hello all, and I hope you have had a good week so far - either way, it's Thursday, so we're almost finished with the week anyway.  

Today I'm joining Carole and the others for a Three on Thursday post.  The first two are related somewhat, but the last one is just something that I was wondering about on my way to work this a.m.  


1.  Happy Bloomsday!


Usually on this day, I take the day off from work, but my request was not approved this year.  But we'll still celebrate this evening, which leads me to another thing we will celebrate as well:

2.  Today is also the birthday of the first kitty that belonged to The Tim and I.  We named her Molly Bloom and designated Bloomsday as her birthday.  Here is a close-up of her sweet face.


She was really a great cat - friendly, adaptable, cuddly, and extremely brave.  She used to do a lot of traveling with us, and she also [begrudgingly] used to let us put hats on her and take photos.  But as long as she could hang out with us, it was all good.  We have always told her, and continue to say, that she was "The Original and Still the Best."

It makes me sad that I lost so many photos of her when my previous laptop died, but at least I have some print photos, though right now we don't have a scanner so they are difficult to share.  But you don't actually need a photo to continue to remember and love someone, right?

3.  OK, this is the one that I wondered about on my way to work this morning.  It was raining pretty steadily and continually, and it occurred to me that every person who was visibly of the male persuasion was walking along getting soaked - none of them had an umbrella.  Thinking about it, I realized that I see that a lot, and so I'm wondering, is there a reason that men seem to be averse to carrying an umbrella?  It's not like I love doing it, but I do prefer it to getting soaked.  The Tim is in fact an umbrella person, so maybe I notice more when I see men just walking in the rain getting wet, I don't know.  But as the king would say in The King and I, "Is a puzzlement."


And there you go.  Have a good one!

7 comments:

Ellen D. said...

I didn't know what Bloomsday was so I had to Google it. Do you do James Joyce readings tonight when you celebrate?
I don't know about men and umbrellas. I really don't know why men do anything some times!

Nance said...

What a dear, sweet-faced kit Molly was. She just radiates contentment.

My husband usually eschews umbrellas. He quotes his grandfather, who used to say, "It only soaks through to the skin." Sigh. Is it at the chromosome level, this Anti-Umbrella sentiment?

Vera said...

Fletch is an umbrella person; I am not. Just curious - why do you celebrate Bloomsday?

Dee said...

Steve is definitely an umbrella person. He's like one of those damn gremlins when he gets wet.

Me? Short distance? No umbrella. Further bit, UMBRELLA!

Molly paved the way well for all those that came after her.

Kim in Oregon said...

Oh Molly Cat! Happy Birthday!

I must tell you that people in Pacific Northwest NEVER use umbrellas. Ever.

Araignee said...

I had to look up Bloomsday too after seeing it trending on Twitter. I had no idea all those things were going on to celebrate it.
The Mister is an umbrella kind of guy even more than I am. He has quite a collection of them and I have one and I'm not even sure where it is. I usually grab a raincoat.

Kym said...

Oh, Molly! What a sweet, sweet kitty! Our first pet-together was a very sweet kitty named Jellybean (Jelly for short). We still celebrate her coming (and going) from our lives with great fondness. As far as umbrellas . . . When I moved to Wyoming as an almost-13-year-old, I was surprised that NO ONE (man, woman, child) ever carried an umbrella. Granted, it didn't rain much there (at the time, at least), and when it did rain it was usually a sudden and short deluge -- with often not enough warning to get an umbrella out and up, and by the time you did, the thing was unnecessary. ANYWAY, it seemed to be a point of pride that people in Wyoming didn't NEED umbrellas. I was happy to move back to the midwest, where we tend to carry umbrellas -- and use them. (And Happy Bloomsday to you.) XO