07 November 2022

Monday FO Post: Vampires Don't Know Football

Hello - I hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was a mix of good and bad, but it was good overall so no complaints. Except that it's too warm for November, and I am not happy about that. But there's also nothing I can do about it, so I'm trying to think of other things.

I don't know if I posted much about the socks I was making as an anniversary present for The Tim. But I know I mentioned them at least a couple of times. Well, they have been finished, gifted, and worn, so a post about them is well overdue.


Project: Vampires Don't Know Football
Pattern: I did an adaptation of my own pattern called First Down Socks, available under the "Free Patterns" tab of this blog. Since I had to change the number of stitches between repeats, I decided to use the colorway name to pay with the title of the project.
Yarn: KnitPicks Felici in the colorway Vampire Vibes.
Needles: US size 1
Modifications: The pattern recipe on my blog says to knit 9 stitches, and purl one stitch. That's for my size, which has a 60 stitch cast-on. Since I use a 64- stitch cast on for The Tim's socks, I knit 7 stitches and then purled one stitch all the way around.


These were fun to knit, as are most self-striping yarns, because you look forward to the next color stripe. And they would have been finished well ahead of the deadline (October 28) but for a few things that got in the way - so I finished them on October 25, which was great because I felt like I still had some breathing room.

The Tim had a dentist appointment the Monday after our anniversary, and wore his socks to the appointment. Apparently he showed them to the dentist and the dental assistants and told them I had knit them. I had a dentist appointment late last week, and the dentist and all the staff had to tell me about how they thought it was so amazing how I knit those socks, and how did I figure it all out, etc. I had to laugh, because as all of you know, with self-striping yarn, the colors happen on their own, unless you are good at manipulating them. So I was both flattered and amused. And it's really nice that The Tim likes his knitted gifts so much. 😊


So now, of the three gifts I was knitting, two have been completed. I have about 25 rows left on the shawlette I'm making for my niece Amanda, so hopefully I can show that to you before too long. I'm really motivated to finish because I am so close to the end, but also because I have told myself I can't start anything new, or pick up any other wips until that one is ready to be gifted.

Here's hoping this week will treat all of us well. Take care, and remember to VOTE tomorrow if you have not done so already!

8 comments:

Nance said...

I voted on the first day of Early Voting in OH--straight blue.

I love those socks, and I think you should take all the kudos from whomever gives them. And bask in them. Let them think you are a Genius who juggles a bunch of math and balls of coloured yarn.

BE A HERO.

Araignee said...

Love those socks! That's so cool that he showed them off. The Mister hates the socks I made him and they gather dust in the drawer.
We dropped off our ballot two weeks ago. Tomorrow is going to be such a nerve wracking day. There is so much on the line here in MD. I am scared to death.

Kim in Oregon said...

At my former dentist (before we moved out to the coast), I always got comments on my hand knit socks. I wonder if it is because your feet are more visible when you're in the dental chair leaning back?

KSD said...

Good on you! And on Tim for bragging on you. I'm sort of surprised you didn't get any orders at the dentist's!

sprite said...

The socks look great, and it's always so flattering to have knit gifts bragged about!

Kym said...

What great socks, Bridget! I love the striping. And socks ARE magical. I think we knitters underestimate how magical they really are to non-knitters. XO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Fabulous finish!!!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Love those socks! just great colours!